What do you miss about Maine Road?

Queueing to get into the Kippax on European nights.
Never being sure they were not going to shut the gate.
Standing behind the goal at the "Scoreboard End", with it pissing down, before they redeveloped it and called it the North Stand.
The original floodlights, which in hindsight seemed so small.

Maine Road was the heart of our club.
And whilst we had to move to Eastlands, it will always invoke special memories for me.

The City Chippy
Trying to get more than two of you into the Social Club at once
Being shunted by a big Police Horse outside the kippax
Wading through the piss and Standing in my favourite spot in the Kippax
The piss poor scoreboard over the North Stand
Helen's Bell
The crush on the way down the Kippax steps after the game
The Pink Final after the game

MAINE ROAD, R.I.P, a big part of my life and I loved the place

Leaping the dog poo in the back entrys. The clank of the turnstiles. "How old are you son ?"
"Ten Mister."
"Lying little get, have a shave next time and put the fag out."

Finding your spot on the Kippax. Then just before kick off some 7ft monster would stand in front of you.

The Atmosphere.

Going home down the back entrys. (no poo anymore ) everyones shoes have taken it away.

Everything, The kippax was my second home for about 30 years, The things I miss the most,
Important night matches, The league cup semi final v boro was unforgetable,
The humour, difficult to describe exactly but it was unique,
The smell, as above,
This probably sounds daft but I miss the fact that when a great goal was scored against us I along with many others were not affraid to applaud,
The fact you could ring your mates sat morning, go to the game, pay on the gate & stand together,
Whistling the laural & hardy tune at the coppers when they walked around the ground just before the end of the game,
The feeling that there was around 35-40 thousand in the ground yet the "official" attendance would be around 25 thousand?
The songs, at one time we seemed to have a different song for every city player & most would be sung during the warm up,
I could go on but fair to say I seem to miss the old place more as the years go by.

Getting to the ground about 10 or 10:30, watching half the club go to the shop while us "hardcore" (as in hardcore alco's) made straight for the Beehive, disapear round to the back door where (i think it was brendan) would open the door, look around for and police before letting us in, a couple of decent pints of harp in glass pots before the doors opened, then at twelve o clock the plastic pots came out, the old codger with the flat cap that used to pick up any glasses that were not in someones hand, hiding any ner empty pots from him, and then when the police came in the ront door, round the bar & then back through the lounge where we would be seated in the first two tables inside the door.
Ten to three leave the beehive (a quarter to three if you had been unlucky enough to end up in the gene kelly MK2 between Kippax and Platt Lane), call into Red Dones to place a bet and a quick stop for a burger in he Blue Moon Chippy before going into the ground.
The ruck in the north stand at half time to try and get te pints in and then trying to get them back to your mates without having them spilt all over you.
After the game back to the bluemoon chippy, Chip peas and gravy that lasted just until i reached the doors of the Beehive where you hoped thatyou were not the first one back (the one advantage of being in the gene kelly), time for another couple of scoops before the bus back to the airport (or if we were over for a double header too many scoops before heading back to town).
Happy memories if you can blank out the two periods of 45 minutes that were the reason why you went. (with the odd notable exception)

the steps at the back of the old kippax, and the big old floodlights that you could see from miles around, never liked the new kippax though , it wasnt the same at maine road without the real kippax so i,m glad we have a new stadium near my house. though i still have a tinge of sadness when i pass through moss side and look at where we used to play.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.