What has the UK become?

Perhaps we should… I’m sure that the Irish will find a way to convince these migrants that they’d be better off going back to NI despite the threat of Rwanda..
They’ll probably process the ones that have travelled there, whilst pass some legislation about strengthening the border into the EU, jeopardising the Good Friday agreement in all likelihood, but it’s difficult to negotiate with the U.K. at the moment as we have toddlers in charge.

The same suspects blaming the UK for a problem caused by the EU, these migrants entered the EU and then went through the UK to rejoin the UK and for some reason we should have either forced them to stay or helped Ireland to force them over the border against their will.

There's stupid happening on this thread.

The same suspects blaming the UK for a problem caused by the EU, these migrants entered the EU and then went through the UK to rejoin the UK and for some reason we should have either forced them to stay or helped Ireland to force them over the border against their will.

A comparison between how lax the French are at not stopping the boats and Northern Ireland doing the same at their border is more than valid.

You know this, yet you try to frame it in your own special way.

The minute anyone starts with that shit they get closed down, I never initiate talking shit about someone's club but my rudeness after that is on them.

Your MO in life. How to make friends and influence people.

From a House of Commons report assessing 2022.

The UK–France Joint Leaders’ Declaration issued in March 2023 states that France prevented 1,381 small boat crossings, carrying 33,788 people, in 2022. This equates to 42.4% of attempts to cross and 55% of small boats being intercepted by the French authorities in 2022.

The UK Government has said that “at least” 59 Organised Crime Groups connected to Channel crossings have been dismantled, and over 500 arrests made, since the foundation of the UK–French Joint Intelligence Cell in July 2020.’

Since then funding has been increased. I would suggest that this is more than a ‘token’ effort and that stopping all crossings is all but impossible and that the French and UK authorities put in a lot of time and effort.
We can’t win unless we find a way to deter the migrants… Rwanda is a preposterous idea in practice but there are surely other, more cost effective ways of making any future migrants think again before making their journey.. There are plenty of ex-RAF camps for example where we could corale asylum seekers for their own safety and ours whilst putting them through some sort of Citizenship training to support their claim for asylum.. use that time to instil our beliefs and principles and give them an educated decision about whether the UK is really for them… If they were genuinely fleeing persecution then surely they’d be up for this..

A Their job, or duty, is to rescue ‘souls in trouble on the high seas’. Every boat that launches is invariably doing so voluntarily. It is not the RNLI‘s role to question why you are about to drown or assess if you deserve to drown. Much as some, no doubt, would like that to be the case.
I agree that it’s their duty to save lives at sea but it was never their raison d'etre to become a migrant transportation service … I’m glad they exist but you could argue that if they didn’t then that would perversely become far more of a deterrent than threats of expulsion to Africa

If we don’t have an obligation to remove the risk, do we have the right to increase the risk by removing all means of safe passage?

If a Govt removes all means of safe passage, then by definition they are encouraging unsafe passage and are complicit in any deaths.
It's honestly really hard to argue complicity when a criminal act is taking place.

If I ask a dodgy fella to smuggle me into Europe and it goes wrong then it's my own fault isn't it? You wouldn't say that either country on either side of the water is complicit because they didn't help me to avoid breaking the law....

I can understand an argument on desperation but I don't think that desperation has anything to do with it.

I think that people are coming here purely because that crossing is actually a product sold by criminals. You pay £X and in return you're helped to take a risk and the payoff is a good likelihood of asylum application success, treatment and benefits etc.

The day that 'product' goes sour or something better crops up elsewhere is the day that the crossings will stop.

I hear they're nationalising sausages and making them 100% halal...

Even just in that post.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.