Whats wrong with our defence ? 3-2 3-2 3-2

goat boy said:
Zabba looked a yard off it today, but then they all did...
Zabba spent the whole second half 1 against 2 or 3, no wonder he was struggling.

Bigger worry for me was the protracted argument between Yaya and Lescott went on for 10 minutes through three or four Southampton attacks.

Their second came from retreating far too quickly and too far after Rodwell gave the ball away, but there were plenty of shoddy moments of defending yesterday, and against Chelsea, it needs tightening up imho.

greasedupdeafguy said:
For me the 4-2-4 formation is way to open and we lose the effectiveness of Toure who is having to play in the midfield two. But as we don't have a real world class cm to play behind him ( Barry and De Jong combo isn't good enough) we play with him and a dm in the midfielder two. Imo the reason we're after De Rossi is so we can play Rodwell/Barry/Milner/De Jong alongside De Rossi and push Toure up the pitch which give more protection to our back 4.

Hart
Richards Kompany Lescott Clichy

Rodwell De Rossi

Yaya

Silva/Nasri Tevez Aguero

only theeeeeessseeee

The reason we have been playing three at the back in pre season is because Micah was at the Olympics and then injured, Clichy and Lescott had extra time off after the Euros, Vinny picked up an injury so the entire first choice back four weren't available. Yesterday it was very noticeable that after we had made it three two we had three forwards on the pitch who either didn't track back (Edin, Mario and Tevez), Yaya went forward and struggled to get back and Nasri who had a great game was knackered. That left Rodders on his own. Also Clichy and especially Zabba were pushing so far forward we were almost playing a 2 1 7 formation. It also didn't help that the team didn't look fit but that will come. Oh and I almost forgot, we actually won the game and if we continue to do that then everything will be ok!

Eds said:
The reason we have been playing three at the back in pre season is because Micah was at the Olympics and then injured, Clichy and Lescott had extra time off after the Euros, Vinny picked up an injury so the entire first choice back four weren't available. Yesterday it was very noticeable that after we had made it three two we had three forwards on the pitch who either didn't track back (Edin, Mario and Tevez), Yaya went forward and struggled to get back and Nasri who had a great game was knackered. That left Rodders on his own. Also Clichy and especially Zabba were pushing so far forward we were almost playing a 2 1 7 formation. It also didn't help that the team didn't look fit but that will come. Oh and I almost forgot, we actually won the game and if we continue to do that then everything will be ok!

Just to correct you on a couple of things - imho - Tevez worked his socks off and was back near/in our box clearing a couple of times in the 2nd half, and late on, when Yaya was stranded upfield without working lungs, Balotelli dropped way back in to cover for him.
Our defence looked rusty yesterday and didn't clear when they had opportunities to do so. But, if we'd taken half of our gilt edged chances, Southampton should have been beaten and demoralised on the hour, and the pressure shouldn't have arisen.

ABU inc GDR said:
Lescott was never good enuff....there I've said it!...Why can City fans never see beyond their charitable ways?

Dzeko is also not good enuff!

agree to a certain extent but to me Hart seems too be getting off scott free,he just seems to let in too many, Silva was utter shite today

mrt4919 said:
Our defence has collapsed over the last major matches.
QPR 3-2
Chelsea 3-2
Southampton 3-2

I can see it, you can see it
Mancini-Kidd can see it
What the hell is going wrong ?
Why are we conceding goals hand over fist ?

Win the League...not with shipping this amount against us, its odds on we are not going to turn a game against us conceding mickey mouse goals time and time again.

What has changed ?
Who are not working a shift or has Mancini's tactics changed ?

as long as we win I could not give a shit

I am worried, the whole dynamic of our defence approach has weakened, are you ?

ABU inc GDR said:
Lescott was never good enuff....there I've said it!...Why can City fans never see beyond their charitable ways?

Lescott may not be the best with the ball but hes a good center back, and good ENOUGH!

The balance of our team was all wrong and I can't understand why Mancini spent all pre season playing three at the back with Kolarov on the left of midfield, Milner on the right and De Jong, in the middle, only to change everything and start with Rodwell and Silva, who've hardly kicked a ball in three months.
We battered Arsenal, Wolfsburg and Chelsea with the original formation, but switched tactics and formation for the first game that mattered.
Secondly although Zabaletta is an inspiration to others, you can sense the opposition wanting him to have the ball. Silva and Nasri need to be more assertive.

ABU inc GDR said:

oh behave ffs.. he scored yesterday.

Lets not forget the whole team had been away all week, Silva to South America.
Most of the defence have had interrupted pre seasons. Think this was Lescotts first full game.We had a 21 year old debutant in Defensive midfield position, dont know what pre season he has had.
But yes Barry is a big miss and De Rossi would be a great buy.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.