Who now then?...

On a slightly different but related topic, I've become more and more convinced that we need an experienced CB partner to help Stones and Laporte hone their defensive skills. I just don't think we can depend on Kompany to stay fit I hate to say and Otamendi isn't a good enough defender, I feel they'd learn more bad habits than good from him.

What are people's thoughts on that and what would people's suggestions be?

Alderwiereld would be the ideal for me, good age, a lot of experience bit but he would be very expensive, probably too much so.

Diego Godin is a monster and kne of my favourite plauers but he plays in such a different defensive system. Would be as effective in a team that plays with such a high line? Would stones and Laporte learn the right skills from him? plus I don't see him leaving atletico.

Boateng looks shot.

Bonucci maybe?

Would love to hear other peoples thoughts and suggestions.

On a slightly different but related topic, I've become more and more convinced that we need an experienced CB partner to help Stones and Laporte hone their defensive skills. I just don't think we can depend on Kompany to stay fit I hate to say and Otamendi isn't a good enough defender, I feel they'd learn more bad habits than good from him.

Alderwiereld would be the ideal for me, good age, a lot of experience bit but he would be very expensive, probably too much so.

Diego Godin is a monster and kne of my favourite plauers but he plays in such a different defensive system. Would be as effective in a team that plays with such a high line? Would stones and Laporte learn the right skills from him? plus I don't see him leaving atletico.

Boateng looks shot.

Bonucci maybe?

Last summer called... wants its argument back.

That line of thinking has been shitted on and flushed.

Very insightful.
Easy mate. it was a joke. Even if i believe it to be true. We dont need a CB

1. Ota is great. Albeit he'll probably be a backup. Stones is a starter for Semi finalist England. Laporte is immensely talented and far superior to the other 3 on the left. With or without Kompany we will have no problems. Not to mention, ?kompany himself has a shit load of bad habits he is able to cover with his strength and athleticism.

THis for all intent and purpose is perhaps a non issue. But i'll differ to your opinion if you insist.

Boateng looks shot.

Bonucci maybe?

Nico was just on the TotS. I can understand some frustrations with him but he’s a hell of a defender. There’s plenty they can learn from him...particularly when to stick a foot in for a tackle. Two seasons ago that was an issue for Stones and he progressed on that last season so there’s definitely things to learn from Nico...he was also given the most freedom to go forward so there’s also that. That was Stones strength when he came in and that regressed to the point he rarely joined the attack last season.

Everyone is welcome to an opinion, that's what the forum is for of course but I have to disagree to an extent. Otamendi was very good last season and our most improved player along with Sterling, but he still has some huge weaknesses to his game and a tendency to have the odd "brain fade". He was absolutely awful at the world cup, although part of that is due to the midfield Infront of him, but I felt his performances definitely tailed off towards the end of last season as well and we saw the old otamendi a few times. Stones is still inconsistent. He was phenomenal in the first half of the season but after returning from injury in the second half of the season he was poor. Thankfully he has had a good world cup and hopefully he can carry that into next season. I'd like to see Kompany stay fit and Otamendi be our 4th choice but I just don't know how realistic that is so yes, I still do believe an experienced centre back comfortable with playing a high line would be a beneficial signing. If not this summer it's going to have to happen next summer anyway when Kompany likely retires. We have 2 fantastic young CBs in Laporte and Stones who will make a great duo for years to come. I think what we need now is another experienced centre back to help them continue their development. Y'all disagree and I understand that but after Mahrez and a backup/long term replacement for Fernandinho I do think that's our next priority.

Pure speculation here, but if Barca offered a straight swap of Rakitic for Gundogan and Gundogan was happy to leave, what would you all think about that?

2 1/2 year age difference in Gundogan favour but I rate Rakitic higher and I think he would hit the ground running in the prem. Would be a difficult one for me.

Everyone is welcome to an opinion, that's what the forum is for of course but I have to disagree to an extent. Otamendi was very good last season and our most improved player along with Sterling, but he still has some huge weaknesses to his game and a tendency to have the odd "brain fade". He was absolutely awful at the world cup, although part of that is due to the midfield Infront of him, but I felt his performances definitely tailed off towards the end of last season as well and we saw the old otamendi a few times. Stones is still inconsistent. He was phenomenal in the first half of the season but after returning from injury in the second half of the season he was poor. Thankfully he has had a good world cup and hopefully he can carry that into next season. I'd like to see Kompany stay fit and Otamendi be our 4th choice but I just don't know how realistic that is so yes, I still do believe an experienced centre back comfortable with playing a high line would be a beneficial signing. If not this summer it's going to have to happen next summer anyway when Kompany likely retires. We have 2 fantastic young CBs in Laporte and Stones who will make a great duo for years to come. I think what we need now is another experienced centre back to help them continue their development. Y'all disagree and I understand that but after Mahrez and a backup/long term replacement for Fernandinho I do think that's our next priority.

Reasonable disagreements are great and I can understand your position but I don’t think you’ll find an experienced CB that can play in our high line, that’s comfortable on the ball, gets up and down the pitch, can pass and create chances, and who doesn’t get injured with the PL experience that Nico has. You think he’s 4th choice but I wouldn’t be surprised if he has the most minutes played in the Prem of our CBs yet again.

Having said that I wasn’t opposed to bringing one in this window but I was on the opposite end and wanted De Ligt. I’d rather not pay big money for an old CB.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.