Who was the most clueless City manager ever? Apart from Ball

Re: Who was the most clueless City manager ever? Apart from

Anybody who includes Howard Kendall in this list is really clueless. Yes we were all annoyed by what he did but he was seduced by his love for Everton in much the same way Big Mal loved City. Kendall took charge of a rapidly sinking ship and with some brilliant and cheap signings turned us into a good team. I think we were 4th in the table when he left which was some turnaround. Not forgetting he made Lakey captain before his injury. Lakey himself has personally told me that Kendall was the best manager he ever played for. Had Kendall stayed we would never have struggled through the 90's the way we did I'm sure of that and I'm sure when he looks back even Howard will admit he made a mistake leaving us.

Blue Streak said:
Anybody who includes Howard Kendall in this list is really clueless. Yes we were all annoyed by what he did but he was seduced by his love for Everton in much the same way Big Mal loved City. Kendall took charge of a rapidly sinking ship and with some brilliant and cheap signings turned us into a good team. I think we were 4th in the table when he left which was some turnaround. Not forgetting he made Lakey captain before his injury. Lakey himself has personally told me that Kendall was the best manager he ever played for. Had Kendall stayed we would never have struggled through the 90's the way we did I'm sure of that and I'm sure when he looks back even Howard will admit he made a mistake leaving us.

Agree 100%. Of all the shite that came our way, losing Kendall had the biggest effect, he was one of the few who could be classed as a proper manager.

Swales and Allison's relationship was as big a problem as Lee and Ball.

Allison had years earlier helped Swales gain control of the club, on the back of a promise he'd be installed as the new manager. There's nothing particularly wrong with that, people cut deals in all walks of life, and I've no doubt Lee thought Ball was a good man and someone he could trust as the manager. Why wouldn't you choose someone you considered a good friend and could relate to and trust?

But the right manager isn't always one who you happen to like, or trust, or agree with. As we found out to our cost, more than once.

Blue Streak said:
Kendall laughed at us . I felt a bit sorry for Swales when this chancer went . I also remember a lot City fans not happy with his signings being ex Everton boys . Swales should have Got Royle instead of Kendall in 1989 .

Allison 2nd time around was like making love in a sewer, we wer fucking close to shit

baildon blue said:
Blue Streak said:
Kendall laughed at us . I felt a bit sorry for Swales when this chancer went . I also remember a lot City fans not happy with his signings being ex Everton boys . Swales should have Got Royle instead of Kendall in 1989 .

Serious question do you live in Manchester? anyone who does will know Swales went for Royle who initially accepted the job then turned it down after the Oldham fans practically begged him to stay via messages on the Boundary Park electronic scoreboard. As for Kendall being a chancer? give me a break. The man won two league titles, the FA Cup and European Cup Winners Cup at Everton and was a runner up in the League and Cup to Liverpool in 1986.

If the question was about the best coach, I think Big Mal is up there with anyone but the question is about our worst manager and I fear that no one mentioned did more long term damage to us than Big Mal in his second spell without the controlling hand of Joe above him.

feedmpenzaandhewillscore said:
Heres one from left field, one Howard Kendall. We could have been on the verge of greatness with the team he was building but was seduced back to Everton. What a clueless decision to go back there and not achieve much afterwards. Il throw that one out to the floor for discussion.

Totally agree. I hated the way he was turning us into an Everton old boys club, he got rid of Ian Bishop and then sacked us off to go back to The Toffees! Big confession here - when he went and left us and went back there I fucking cheered when The Rags beat them at Goodison. Only time I ever have or will celebrate them winning. God I hated him for walking out on us like he did. He used us to get back in the English game.

Blue Streak said:
baildon blue said:
Blue Streak said:

Serious question do you live in Manchester? anyone who does will know Swales went for Royle who initially accepted the job then turned it down after the Oldham fans practically begged him to stay via messages on the Boundary Park electronic scoreboard. As for Kendall being a chancer? give me a break. The man won two league titles, the FA Cup and European Cup Winners Cup at Everton and was a runner up in the League and Cup to Liverpool in 1986.

We were doing better than Everton in 1990 .
So why did Kendall leave us .
This was one occasion I felt sorry for Swales .

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.