Who was the most clueless City manager ever? Apart from Ball

Re: Who was the most clueless City manager ever?

East Level 2 said:
Is the Ron Saunders being mentioned the same Ron Saunders that took us to the League Cup final in 1974?
We'd have won that had it not been for some duff finishing and some brilliant saves from the Wolves keeper.
Saunders was a miserable git, no mistake, and he didn't get the best out of the players at his disposal, but he's well ahead of Neal, Clark, Benson and Ball when it comes to being a manager.
Saunders was a decent manager but a bad fit for City. Did his Aston Villa team not win the European Cup albeit with a different manager?

Saunders was far too dour for City and his playing style was all wrong.

Poser was very inept but in his favour it has to be said that he had to cope with a reduced budget. Harley and Dobing departed before he had even taken over and Wagstaffe was sold by the board. Most of the remaining players were either has-beens or journeymen. He made a decent signing or two especially Johnnie Crossan.

Poyser at least kept City out of the bottom half of the old second division, something that many of his successors failed to do.

JGL07 said:
He made a decent signing or two especially Johnnie Crossan.
Poyser at least kept City out of the bottom half of the old second division, something that many of his successors failed to do.

Indeed,

<a class="postlink-local" href="http://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=270843&p=6161394" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?t=270843&p=6161394</a>

Re: Who was the most clueless City manager ever? Apart from

Big Mal 2nd time around was a disaster that started the rot that took years to come back from.

It was shambolic.

BigJoe#1 said:
Mark Hughes without a doubt, even with your exception Wayne.

He nearly single handedly destroyed this club, even with the Sheikhs money.

Please - close the thread and move on...please, please, please

Fucking idiot.

RVZ Urmston said:
Horton, followed by Pearce
Followed by Hughes
Followed by Benson
Next . . Coppell
Ball
Big Mal 2nd stint
Frizzell

Horton?

What did he do wrong to make him worse than ball? The Horton side was quite good which ball then relegated! So how can he be worse than ball?

In fact thinking about this more I've decided you are just an imbecile.

Hughes

Took a side that finished 9th, spent 100 million and finished one place lower.

Quite impressive really.

Hughes clearly from his track record in the Prem is a decent manager but mucho the IMO. At City it was his away record that was appalling.
Horton's team with Beagrie, Walsh and Uwe gave a lot of pleasure without being world beaters.
I think from where we were to how Big Mal left us second time must put him near the top although from what I read Swales must take a lot of blame. To be fair, I loved the rescue job John Bond did but of course we ran out of cash
I was stoned/drunk mainly the aftermath of Ball for most of the Coppell/Neal/Clark/Tony Book a couple of times/Asa Hartford reigns
Pearce had to be up there in terms of clueless. It's been pointed out to me several times by people who have heard/seen him close up during matches that his tactical instructions from the bench ranged from the revolutionary "kick it son" to the much heralded "head it". Just think how good Mancini's and MP's teams could have been with Pearce as coach.
However in response to the OP question it's a bit like asking "apart from Harold Shipman, who was the worst Doctor?"
Possibly Sylvester McCoy!!

Think all the obvious candidates have been covered but although not clueless I'll throw another alternative in for discussion Mel Machin. Yes he did a great job getting us promoted with no money but then the First Division (as was) completely overwhelmed him. We'd have been sunk without a trace had Kendall not arrived. Talking of Howard had he stayed we would never have struggled in the 1990's like we did. And yes before people point out that Mel was manager in the 5-1 I'd point out that only a few weeks later we lost 6-0 at Derby County.

Big Mal was disastrous when he returned,ripped apart a good team,presumably to put his mark on the club but their replacements were inferior mostly.His ego was his downfall and he needed reining in which is why he will always be remembered as a great coach,not an outright manager.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.