Who was the most clueless City manager ever? Apart from Ball

Re: Who was the most clueless City manager ever? Apart from

Well there's only one manager ever taken us down to Division 3 so I'd probab;y say Royle.

Got to be Frank Clark for me. Used to go to the game knowing it would be another disaster. Clueless tack ticks.

Re: Who was the most clueless City manager ever?

xgorton said:
PD said:
andyhinch said:
One for you mate, George Poyser, couldn't get us out of Div 2

Gets my vote
Yes Poyser the man with the pipe,I remember with him as manager only 8,000 turned up for a league game v Swindon at Maine rd I was one of them.

Did Mike Summerbee play for Swindon that day??

panzer1311 said:
Mark Hughes being named on here is absolutely ridiculous . too many draws & a woeful defeat at Spurs cost him his job
the victory over the Arse at the Etihad was one of the best atmospheres ive witnessed at City in a long time
and to say we were in a relegation fight under him is bollocks ,
Agreed. He wouldn't even be in the top 10. Those that do nominate him obviously have very short memories and don't remember the glorious era from the eighties through to the early noughties.

Benson
Sainty
McNeill (debatable, to be fair)
Frizzell
Clark
Coppell (was he even here long enough to count?)
Ball

And going back earlier
Allison's second coming
Saunders
Poyser

panzer1311 said:
Mark Hughes being named on here is absolutely ridiculous . too many draws & a woeful defeat at Spurs cost him his job
the victory over the Arse at the Etihad was one of the best atmospheres ive witnessed at City in a long time
He spent 100 fucking million and finished a place lower that we did the previous season. We lost 3-0 against forest at home in the cup and were beaten by Brighton in the league cup. He also damaged the club in the long term by signing a load of mercenaries on long contracts with ridiculous wages.

Shite manager

greasedupdeafguy said:
panzer1311 said:
He spent 100 fucking million and finished a place lower that we did the previous season. We lost 3-0 against forest at home in the cup and were beaten by Brighton in the league cup. He also damaged the club in the long term by signing a load of mercenaries on long contracts with ridiculous wages.

Shite manager

Totally agree. Hughes had the money and performed disgracefully finishing lower than the season before when the club had no money. He had simply no idea how to set up his teams other than a rigid 442 with lots of muscle in midfield. Those Cup games were amongst the worst performances I have seen in watching City since 1968. The difference is that previous managers, and we have had some disastrous ones, had pretty much nothing to play with.
Big Mal, much as I loved him first time around, was a disaster second time and broke up a team which could have been developed.

Mark Hughes was given the task of dismantling the old team and assembling a totally new one.
He bought well, and he bought badly, pretty much like most managers did, but quite a few of his buys went on to form the league winning side. Some remain today, and some that have left are still credited with genuinely helping us progress.
There is no doubt there were duds along the way, but that was to be expected when trying to spend rapidly - a lot of hit and miss.

To argue that we went backwards is a poor argument. To slip a place with some many changes in a team is hardly shocking, and it's also fair to say (as Hughes argued at the time) City were being fleeced on prices, but were prepared to be fleeced, because they new the urgency required due to FFP.

He will never go down as 'amazing', but to deem him our worst manager is staggering.

Also, I believe it's unfair to associate a crap period in City's history with a crap manager. Plenty of our manager were taking on a mammoth task (and others refused or didn't want the job). That's not to say they were great, but some of them were on a hiding to nothing, and it's just wrong to say the like of Horton were terrible.

We were a poorly run club, with a shocking financial situation. Big club yes, but sinking rapidly. It's no exaggeration to compare us with Leeds.

Malcolm Allison's second reign took a fairly decent Man City and ripped it apart. If you want seriously bad buys - you need only look at his purchases.
The debt we found ourselves in after his reign set us along a path that we struggled to recover from for almost 25 years. Of course, our demise wasn't all down to Allison, but the trend was started there and then. After that, we became a mediocre team at best, with the odd flirtation towards the top of the table, but our general pattern was a little blip of good play followed by a longer period of decline. Had we not escaped division 3 as we did, there's no telling what state we'd be in now, but it almost certainly wouldn't be a pretty one.

Mark Hughes taking City backwards in a manner worse than any other? You're having a laugh.

ColinBellsjockstrap said:
andyhinch said:
oakiecokie said:
And then came along Joe and Big Malc.I`m almost certain that the record low attendance of just over 8000 was during Poyser`s reign.
I knew they were low, 8,053 Middlesbrough in 64 & 8,015 Swindon in 65 Tilson got 8,409 last game of season. A few of my mates still go on about it. Before I was born of course:)

I, and a few other Bluemooners were at the Swindon game, it was bloody freezing, the ground was virtually deserted, (certainly the Kippax and scoreboard end).....and Buzzer scored in Swindon's 2-1 win.
Also it was pissing down and a very grey day as I remember. I was stood on the Kippax hoping for a 'bounce back' after our mid week replay cup exit away at Shrewsbury . It never happened thanks to buzzer!

andyhinch said:
oakiecokie said:
Some of you poor fuckers never saw Ron Saunders then ?? The worst of the worst.
One for you mate, George Poyser, couldn't get us out of Div 2
No, I won't hear anything bad about pipe smoking George. He was my hero in my early teens.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.