Why did we let Zinchenko go?

ironic thing is with Zinchenko, he'd have been playing every week when fit given Cancelo and Walkers form.

Was probably out biggest act of self sabotage since Pep joined letting him go and bringing in Gomez, we were already 1 short at fullback and it cost us in the CL.

Things that has happened can not be changed you can moan whinge to the cows come home the facts are he wanted to go to get more game time.

He should have been getting it here. Cancelo has been dreadful for a long time and yet Zinchenko was still only getting in the team from January onwards every year (and we always improved after he got back in).

The reason Jesus, Sterling and Zinchenko all felt the need to leave was that one of the crucial parts of Pep's philosophy - that he'll pick the XI that deserve to start, not the biggest names - was completely obliterated last season. If I was watching Cancelo dropping clangers from the bench, or Grealish picked over me despite being well below his best, I'd want to leave too.

He should have been getting it here. Cancelo has been dreadful for a long time and yet Zinchenko was still only getting in the team from January onwards every year (and we always improved after he got back in).

The reason Jesus, Sterling and Zinchenko all felt the need to leave was that one of the crucial parts of Pep's philosophy - that he'll pick the XI that deserve to start, not the biggest names - was completely obliterated last season. If I was watching Cancelo dropping clangers from the bench, or Grealish picked over me despite being well below his best, I'd want to leave too.

Well pep didn’t think he was good enough to play week in week out when he could of.

Hardly a surprise that people are questioning the wisdom of allowing Zinchenko to leave, given the current situation at full-back.
All the less so since Pep’s main plan for working with Haaland seems, fairly obviously, to be to have one full-back coming infield alongside Rodri, and to have De Bruyne plus one other (ideally Gundogan) play closer to Haaland. And Zinchenko is extremely adept in that ‘inverted’ role, while Walker and Cancelo aren’t. Perhaps we thought Cucurella could do it (though I’m not really sure on what basis?). But now we’re in a situation where the only full-back we have who looks comfortable in that role is Lewis, who, while a superb talent, is still a kid.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.