Why did we let Zinchenko go?

Are we talking about Zinchenko or Lionel Messi here?

Some of you need to get a hold of yourselves
Some people are dreaming of a mythical brilliant player who played in all our big games, instead of the reality of the decent squad player we once had, just because he can pass the ball forwards and is playing in a team full of energy and hunger now.

We’ve needed a LB for about 10 years,many have tried and that’s it and that includes Zinchenko
Yes and a Zinchenko that Arsenal did not miss one bit when he was out for a while injured.
Same with Jesus.The young lad has replaced him with ease with his absence.

How would you like this left back to play ?
Depends who is right back. Who we sign at left back needs to be versatile, because:

If Walker is right back (or a defensive wing back as I call him), our left back needs to be good at attacking, passing, have pace and be creative as an attacking wing back or inverted wing back/midfielder. One of our main strengths is having the Walker-Cancelo contrasting styles of full back.

If Lewis is right back (who is a sort of in-between of Walker and Cancelo, neither being as defensively good or as quick as Walker or as attacking as Cancelo, but has a better short passing game than both of them), you can have someone similar to any of Lewis or Walker or Cancelo at left back because you can balance them out with Lewis on the other side and make him do whatever you need him to.

If it’s Cancelo at right back (or an attacking wing back or inverted wingback/midfielder as his qualities lie further forward), we’d want someone who is a good defender like Walker at left back.

There will be left back outs there who can both attack and defend with pace.

We’ve gone on too long without a left back now. Delph was great as a fill-in for one season, Danilo did okay but was a right back and didn’t like it at City, Zinchenko was a good squad player, Mendy was great a few times but he was a crock even before he’d been stitched up by those sly females, and Kolarov and Clichy went on about two years too long. So you could say we’ve needed to sign a new left back for the best part of the last 8 or 9 years, bar a few decent months we got from Mendy.

Then we’d have a good rotation of the new signing and Cancelo at left back and Walker Cancelo and Lewis at right back. We wouldn’t have to worry about playing Stones or Alanji at right back or Ake or Laporte at left back and can let our centre backs play in their proper positions and be a good basis for the rest of the team to work from.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good mate of mine is an Arsenal fan and he’s not been all that impressed with Zinchenko defensively. Great squad player and good with the ball but was never the answer for us at left back.

Good mate of mine is an Arsenal fan and he’s not been all that impressed with Zinchenko defensively. Great squad player and good with the ball but was never the answer for us at left back.
Defending at full back has never come naturally for Zinch. If you ever watch back the Community Shield against Liverpool: Salah tore him apart and Pep never trusted him again there against Liverpool, even picking Angeliño ahead of him the next time we played them at Anfield after that CommShield.

Really liked Zinchenko. Didn’t want him to leave as he was good technically and had a good attitude.

However him going doesn’t effect how our season is going. City have a lot of good technical players at the moment. What we don’t currently have is a quick style of play and players who run at an oppositions defence.

Zinchenko would not change this.

theres some real revisionism going on with zinny. I love the guy he wanted to leave so be it. But he was a squad player who at times was a defensive issue for us. Those saying he got a cross in when it mattered against villa. No offence but im sure gomez has that quality too. We talk about what he provided for us he was with us 5 years ish he spent time on loan, we wanted him sold two summers. Yes he became and important player in those final 2 years but he also had shit performances. we all talk about villa and the importance of his cross. but he could also have cost us the title with his performance at west ham.

I dont for one second think were missing zinny. i think the issue was us not fetching a high quality first 11 left back in. I always think we were buying gomez irreguardless of another left back as a cfg signing.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.