Why do vets charge so much?

Pet insurance is the only way these days, without it our little dog would have bankrupted us over the years ..!

Yep,same here, my two dogs would have cost me an arm and a leg to keep in tip top condition,with the insurance though ,its merely cost me a hand :)

The chain vets definitely take the piss with pricing imo,especially if they know you are insured.

I'm of the opinion that there is widespread scamming going on by these chain vets nowadays.

Our pet insurance went from £11 a month to £140 a month in about three years with no additional claims. They refuse to deal with pre-existing conditions and renewal time comes with the previous year's issues no longer covered. Unfortunately, vets are now linked to insurers and pharma supply. We no longer insure, but save money each month to cover potential issues. We have also changed to a not for profit vet. I have no issue with any business making money, but charging £60 for medications freely available for 1/20 of that, or (in my case) £957 for an X-ray, is unreasonable.

Last edited:
Yep,same here, my two dogs would have cost me an arm and a leg to keep in tip top condition,with the insurance though ,its merely cost me a hand :)

The chain vets definitely take the piss with pricing imo,especially if they know you are insured.

I'm of the opinion that there is widespread scamming going on by these chain vets nowadays.
This is a given, and part of an ongoing investigation.

I was reading that as a country we are short of qualified vets due to Brexit.

I was reading that as a country we are short of qualified vets due to Brexit.
True , getting a vet has been as hard as getting a gp and a dentist , for a while my vets practice had no vets , lots of tbem went home after brexit and didnt come back . Same with my polish dentist ,she went home as well . Brexiteers wont have it mind you

True , getting a vet has been as hard as getting a gp and a dentist , for a while my vets practice had no vets , lots of tbem went home after brexit and didnt come back . Same with my polish dentist ,she went home as well . Brexiteers wont have it mind you
Kaz my newtons could do with a polish don’t suppose you’ve still got a number? ;)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.