Why do vets charge so much?

Yep,same here, my two dogs would have cost me an arm and a leg to keep in tip top condition,with the insurance though ,its merely cost me a hand :)

The chain vets definitely take the piss with pricing imo,especially if they know you are insured.

I'm of the opinion that there is widespread scamming going on by these chain vets nowadays.
Agreed. Some of the prices I've heard bring tears to the eyes.
And I mean real tears. Spoke to a few tearful folk who explained vets refusing to treat their pet dog unless x amount can be found ...
Lots more dogs getting sick these days too ,off their food, internal organ problems ...sad to hear.
Not sure whats going on with the vets on a national scale... and its not somethimg i like to think about too much tbh. I love dogs.

Agreed. Some of the prices I've heard bring tears to the eyes.
And I mean real tears. Spoke to a few tearful folk who explained vets refusing to treat their pet dog unless x amount can be found ...
Lots more dogs getting sick these days too ,off their food, internal organ problems ...sad to hear.
Not sure whats going on with the vets on a national scale... and its not somethimg i like to think about too much tbh. I love dogs.
Dogs are fast becoming things for well off people. You kind of have to have insurance these days, anything can happen at any time, illness, a sudden dog attack etc. That couple in the paper last week whose dog got attacked by a Rotty, 23k vets bill as they couldn't bear to have him put down, illness especially as your dog ages....even the food has gone way up in price.

Oh and btw insurance has gone up 30% too since covid.

£100 for 10 minute visit today after my dog fell awkwardly trying to jump a fence. Slight sprain to her back. Last time I went it was £36 basic fee, so the painkiller medication much have cost £64 for a few day's medication. Where do they get the prices from?

I bet if I check online it will be half the price or less somewhere.

£100 for 10 minute visit today after my dog fell awkwardly trying to jump a fence. Slight sprain to her back. Last time I went it was £36 basic fee, so the painkiller medication much have cost £64 for a few day's medication. Where do they get the prices from?

I bet if I check online it will be half the price or less somewhere.

Simple :

Independent vet practices accounted for 45% of UK veterinary practices in 2021, down from 89% in 2013.12 Mar 2024

Almost 60% of vet practices in the UK are owned by large groups, up from about 10% a decade ago, and many are continuing to look for ways to expand. Since 2013, 1,500 of the 5,000 vet practices in the UK have been acquired by the six large corporate groups: CVS, IVC, Linnaeus, Medivet, Pets at Home and Vet Partners.

Pet insurance is the only way these days, without it our little dog would have bankrupted us over the years ..!
My daughter had a rescue cat so, because she had no idea how old the cat was, couldn’t get insurance at anything like a price that she could afford.

Didnt stop the vet from guilt tripping her when she couldnt afford to pay another £500 for treatment that would only have kept the cat alive for a few weeks

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.