Why do you support Manchester City?

I was a rag (hangs head in shame). But all my mates were blues and kept taking the piss, so I swapped.

In my defence, that was 1967 and I was 6.

Puppet Master Silva said:
Edin Dzeko
what-you-did-there-i-see-it.jpg

It was just meant to be..when I had to choose a club , I din want to support any of the top four..and the fact that city were everyone's second club..attracted me towards them...the sky blue colour and the sight of fantastic fans singing blue moon further helped the cause.....and I became city fan for life....and to all u rags out der , yes m a glory hunter if that is music to ur years...but tell me one thing..is one title enuf glory to be a glory hunter :P

pominoz said:
Citizen in Pakistan said:
I started supporting city when his highness took over and the reason was that we were relatively underdogs as compared to others teams at that time n plus didn't had any great history to speak abt,but one thing that was there was potential cause of the intent shown by the owner and slowly and surely love for city started growing and then cme along fa cup n the title.
One thing I always had though was Ultimate hatred for United even so city was the best possible choice,proud to b a blue:)

Excuse me?

What I meant to say was recent Years
All these United Chelsea arsenal liverpool dis fukz n scum bags used to brag abt titles n history all that shit ,n my rep to them was we myt nt have a glorious history but were in the middle of creating one
Sorry if any 1 felt offended

By pure chance.

I remember playing with my toy coach on the pavement in Hector Road, Longsight aged 6 or 7, two guys walked by and I overheard them saying "Lee, Bell and Summerbee".

Roll forward about 4 years to 1978, I'm now beginning to take an interest in the game of football and find out somehow that Lee, Bell and Summerbee were once Man City players and Man City are literally the closest team to where I live. Naturally Man City became my favourite team from then onwards.

So by pure chance I became a Man City supporter from aged 11, back in 1978 (but possibly from aged 6 or 7 too).

There were times when I wished during the dark days (80's and early 90's in particular) when I wish I hadn't overheard those guys talking, or worst still wish they had said "Best, Law and Charlton" so that I would be supporting the "darkside" instead, but now I realise it was just a test of loyalty, a test which I passed.

Bit long winded this....

I got interested in football when I was about 7, I lived in Cadishead and my Mum and Dad were Rugby League fans (Mum Warrington, Dad Widnes which caused no end of fun on match days). I wanted to go to a game (any game) and my eldest cousin Patricia was a United fan, so Mum and Dad arranged for her to take me to Old Trafford. Whilst I enjoyed watching the game, it didn't feel right somehow.

My Mum was telling one of our neighbours, Joyce, about me going to Old Trafford. 'Are you a United fan?' says Joyce?' I said no, so that week she took me to Maine Road as she was a mad City fan. That was it then, I just loved the atmosphere, Joyce sat in the same place every week so we had loads of banter and I just thought it was great. Started going on my own when I was about 12, and then my Mums sister moved to a house in Moss Side (Dixon Street I think, near a pub called the Sherwood?). I used to go and stay a few days each school holidays and used to sit outside Maine Road for hours collecting autographs.

When I was a kid I used to play in goal and our keeper then was Harry Dowd, can't remember if he wore a wooly jumper, but probably! Then our regular keeper became Joe Corrigan and that seemed to me as a kid to be the start of a new era, a player with long hair!

So that was me, and nearly 50 years later I'm still here. So hard cheese Pat, and thanks Joyce, genuinely, thanks for introducing me to the club I love.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.