Why do you support Manchester City?

ColinBellsjockstrap said:
Pokes28 said:
Unlike most of you, I'm a relative newcomer to City fandom. Here in the States, the only team that received any kind of TV time until recently was United. I learned to hate them pretty quickly so yes, my dislike of MU predates my love of any EPL team. Then we started getting a lot more matches televised and one of the first matches I was able to watch was a United/City clash. United got every call and ended up winning as a result of blatant officiating bias or ineptness (take your pick). At that point, I was hooked. This is about the time that the team started spending a ton of money. So I've never really been tested with a bad City team to cheer for. However, the more that I learn, the more history I read, etc. I find that it is a very natural fit for me.

I'm an Oklahoma State alumni. If you know anything about them especially when it comes to American football, you know that their history is filled with some amazing players that are household names around the world. However on the whole, it has always been a struggle. Oklahoma isn't a highly populated state and the state has well known power in the state in the Oklahoma Sooners . Then a few years ago one of the richest men in America who is also an OSU alumni stepped up and spent hundreds of millions of dollars in renovating the stadium, building new weight rooms, locker rooms, etc. Now the OSU facilities are the envy of almost everybody. As a result of that along with some really good coaching and OSU finally won a conference title and contended for a national championship two years ago.

So for me the similarities are uncanny:
1) not the best known team in the area (both wear ugly ass red)
2) somebody stepped up and spent a ton of money that allowed them to be competitive
3) Even the fan bases are similar in that those that endured a lot of pain the past are enjoying things but there is always that underlying feeling that doom is right around the corner.

I'm currently at the Dallas Fort Worth Airport waiting on my flight that will bring me to the area. I'll be at the match on Sunday, my first. I'm very excited.

David Harrell

Nice story David.

I hope you enjoy the game...:)
from another overseas fan (ireland) enjoy the game and hope we get in a win for you, its a killer when there's so long between attending games.

Almost all of my relations are Blues. My auntie lived next to Maine Road when I was a nipper, so I used to get to the games quite often. I was also told that my uncle used to be reserve goalie*, which seemed really cool at the time.

*I since discovered that this was not true, neither was he my real uncle.

Pokes28 said:
Unlike most of you, I'm a relative newcomer to City fandom. Here in the States, the only team that received any kind of TV time until recently was United. I learned to hate them pretty quickly so yes, my dislike of MU predates my love of any EPL team. Then we started getting a lot more matches televised and one of the first matches I was able to watch was a United/City clash. United got every call and ended up winning as a result of blatant officiating bias or ineptness (take your pick). At that point, I was hooked. This is about the time that the team started spending a ton of money. So I've never really been tested with a bad City team to cheer for. However, the more that I learn, the more history I read, etc. I find that it is a very natural fit for me.

I'm an Oklahoma State alumni. If you know anything about them especially when it comes to American football, you know that their history is filled with some amazing players that are household names around the world. However on the whole, it has always been a struggle. Oklahoma isn't a highly populated state and the state has well known power in the state in the Oklahoma Sooners . Then a few years ago one of the richest men in America who is also an OSU alumni stepped up and spent hundreds of millions of dollars in renovating the stadium, building new weight rooms, locker rooms, etc. Now the OSU facilities are the envy of almost everybody. As a result of that along with some really good coaching and OSU finally won a conference title and contended for a national championship two years ago.

So for me the similarities are uncanny:
1) not the best known team in the area (both wear ugly ass red)
2) somebody stepped up and spent a ton of money that allowed them to be competitive
3) Even the fan bases are similar in that those that endured a lot of pain the past are enjoying things but there is always that underlying feeling that doom is right around the corner.

I'm currently at the Dallas Fort Worth Airport waiting on my flight that will bring me to the area. I'll be at the match on Sunday, my first. I'm very excited.

David Harrell

enjoy the game, but remember not to smoke in the bogs and NO STANDING. but enjoy it anyway

I'm a Dub who had Man U thrust on me from birth, but it never felt right. It was either the rags or dippers and there wasn't another choice, or so it seemed.

Then one week United turned up in Dublin to play Bohemians on a Tues and City were playing Shelbourne on the Wed. My stepdad took me to both. The Rag game was okay. But the experience the next night changed everything. The travelling City fans were just amazing. Great fun. Even as a young kid I could see the huge difference between both clubs.

To top it all off, before the game the entire City squad came over to sign autographs, and I got to meet Niall Quinn. This was a huge deal for a young Irish kid. Adrian Heath, Ian Bishop, Peter Reid, Stevie Redmond and the rest were all great with the fans. I was sold.

Years later I brought my younger brother to a game, and Hughes, Richards, Garry Cook(especially) and Tevez all did the exact same thing. It was like seeing a repeat of it.

We drew 3-3 with Burnley. This, this is why we suport City :-)

Pokes28 said:
Unlike most of you, I'm a relative newcomer to City fandom. Here in the States, the only team that received any kind of TV time until recently was United. I learned to hate them pretty quickly so yes, my dislike of MU predates my love of any EPL team.

Mostly this for me. I have a family of Milan fans but I grew out of that because I don't like the Serie A much and it's just all very corrupt. Around 05 or so I heard about this kid Micah Richards who had loads of potential so I checked him out and i ended up becoming a City fan.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.