Why do you support Manchester City?

boneystarks said:
I was introduced the to the game as a kid, twenty years ago while living in Naples, my father was in the US Navy. I took it for granted, and would only pay attention to the sport if a friend happened to have a copy of FIFA for Playstation sitting around.

I'm a black guy from the US. We're not "supposed" to like soccer. This point really isn't supposed to mean much, but that was my mentality.

Then came 2010. I decided that I wanted to take more interest in the game. The World Cup was coming to South Africa and I was beginning to pay attention. One morning I happened to be surfing the web and I came across this:

addycelebration.gif

"What the hell did he do to make those guys so angry?"

Long story short. That was the reason I started following the club. Of course I was called a glory hunter by United, Arsenal and Chelsea supporters (who all happened to only recently follow 'soccer' within the last decade themselves), but I stuck with it. Their commitment to my community here in DC, opening the new pitch for the kids was only a part of the reason why I love MCFC. The supporters have pride, but most of all, don't take themselves too seriously. They're honest with themselves. Everything that I would want to be affiliated with, and in fact with the local supporters group, Capital City Blues, I pay dues to support the club.

As we come into 2014, I'm obsessed with the game, I've even started playing pickup at the ripe old age of 30. I revolve my family life around it, and I've turned countless people here in the states on to it via Twitter (follow me, @boneystarks is the handle).

Thanks to the City supporters who have been with the club through the rough times, while I wasn't there, I admire your will, determination, and well..support. You have a Blue here in Washington DC, for life.

-Boney

Top post, Boney. I'm a New Jersey Blue who met up with a few guys from your supporters club in NYC at the Mad Hatter and then we took the subway over to see City beat Chelsea at Yankee Stadium this summer (Hell, maybe you were one of them?) But anyway great bunch of guys who were all great to talk to and it was a fun day.

Grandad went in the 1920's, dad started going in the 50's and I started going in the 80's, so I was born to be a blue.

MCFC is a huge part of my life and apart from my son brings me the most joy in life.

It may be obsessive but I don't care, wouldn't have it any other way.

I never had a choice in the matter. Grandad took me in1968. He saw us at Hyde Road. Family is virtually all city daft. Most of mates are city daft..Wouldnt want it anyother way.

What I love most about City is the fans. Made loads of mates through City. To be on the piss with blues in Munich was one of the highlights of my life. We are one big family of like minded nutjobs.Usually eccentric normally happy and always friendly with fellow blues.

For those of you who posted here who came to the club late and maybe have no connection to Manchester welcome one and all as being blue is something that occasionally drive you insane but you are all now part of the blue family and that is very special

I did a semester abroad at the university of Manchester and a friend of mine gave me a city scarf right before I left for the UK. The first city game I went to was our home win against Chelsea, the night Tevez came back. I really knew nothing about soccer/football back then but being in that crowd, seeing just how dedicated fans are surpassed any fans I've seen back home (USA) and since then it has easily become my favorite sport and I even play in a weekend league back home. So thanks City, you really changed my life for the better.

It's just my luck that I fell in love with football and city the year they won the league and now all the soccer snobs back home call me out as a glory hunter...

Umedaman said:
I did a semester abroad at the university of Manchester and a friend of mine gave me a city scarf right before I left for the UK. The first city game I went to was our home win against Chelsea, the night Tevez came back. I really knew nothing about soccer/football back then but being in that crowd, seeing just how dedicated fans are surpassed any fans I've seen back home (USA) and since then it has easily become my favorite sport and I even play in a weekend league back home. So thanks City, you really changed my life for the better.

It's just my luck that I fell in love with football and city the year they won the league and now all the soccer snobs back home call me out as a glory hunter...
Ah mate, you missed out on the FA cup win the year before.

Oh and we spell it 'favourite' on here ;)

boneystarks said:
I was introduced the to the game as a kid, twenty years ago while living in Naples, my father was in the US Navy. I took it for granted, and would only pay attention to the sport if a friend happened to have a copy of FIFA for Playstation sitting around.

I'm a black guy from the US. We're not "supposed" to like soccer. This point really isn't supposed to mean much, but that was my mentality.

Then came 2010. I decided that I wanted to take more interest in the game. The World Cup was coming to South Africa and I was beginning to pay attention. One morning I happened to be surfing the web and I came across this:

addycelebration.gif

"What the hell did he do to make those guys so angry?"

Long story short. That was the reason I started following the club. Of course I was called a glory hunter by United, Arsenal and Chelsea supporters (who all happened to only recently follow 'soccer' within the last decade themselves), but I stuck with it. Their commitment to my community here in DC, opening the new pitch for the kids was only a part of the reason why I love MCFC. The supporters have pride, but most of all, don't take themselves too seriously. They're honest with themselves. Everything that I would want to be affiliated with, and in fact with the local supporters group, Capital City Blues, I pay dues to support the club.

As we come into 2014, I'm obsessed with the game, I've even started playing pickup at the ripe old age of 30. I revolve my family life around it, and I've turned countless people here in the states on to it via Twitter (follow me, @boneystarks is the handle).

Thanks to the City supporters who have been with the club through the rough times, while I wasn't there, I admire your will, determination, and well..support. You have a Blue here in Washington DC, for life.

-Boney

Welcome to the forum Boney, i enjoyed reading your story of becoming blue :)
Hope you stick around and laugh at the insanity of the forum bud.

Me ?, they were one of my local teams and the first team to catch my eye and give me that spark of intensity for them to go on and win the game.
The crowd were always really loud on the tele and it made my hair stand on end on my arms and the back of my neck.
I liked that sensation and watching city gave it to me.
I had been to the odd match before with family but only to county, my first visit to main road with so many people who liked the same club as me was great, this just solidified my loyalty and love for City.
I should thank my red dad for taking me and the fact he always kept an eye on what we were doing, keep your enemies closer kinda outlook he had then probably.
This gave me more exposure to them.

I will ask my father why i never liked united but as i remember it they just didn't do it for me and red was a girls colour and blue was for boys :D

There are other factors but this thread will pop up again in a few months so i will save some for that :)

Yank here.

I first started getting into football about five or so years ago, and of course I had to pick a side.

I support all my local clubs in Yank football, ice hockey, etc. There was absolutely nothing I hated more than glory hunters supporting clubs they have no connection to - and there are a lot of those types around where I live.

Immediately, I decided there was no way I could support one of the "Big Four."

Then I discovered City. A lot of Americans didn't even know they existed. I was surprised too, to learn that there was another club in Manchester - then, of course, I learned City were the ONLY club in Manchester!

Reading up on City's history, I found they were a team that had gone through many dark days yet still had fantastic local support in England. I saw a lot in City's fans that I saw in myself - following my local clubs, who struggled mightily at times, even when many others decided to be glory hunters and part of something "successful" by bandwagoning on Pittsburgh NFL football or what have you. Hating how people around me became United or Chelsea fans because it was the trendy thing to do, and wanting to go against United, the biggest and most obnoxious of the plastic clubs, I declared myself a Blue for life and haven't looked back since.

I started supporting City before I found out about the oil money, so I just laugh if anyone calls me a plastic supporter. If for some reason we go back to mid-table mediocrity or even get relegated, I'll still follow them as much as I do now.

CTID

Living in Hawaii of all places I wasn't exposed to the EPL growing up. It was only until recent years that we are able to catch stations which air the games. My interest peaked because of the World Cup in 2010. A friend of mind liked to watch Spain and was raving about a guy named Silva from Valencia. Although Silva didn't play much in that WC I heard he was going to Manchester City and I wanted to see how he was going to do. I did have a little clue about Manchester United and knew from the start that I didn't want to support that team. They are like the New York Yankees. Everything that I don't like in a club. I didn't have a clue about the fortunes of City though. Not until later, but what could I do by then? It didn't matter. I wouldn't consider myself a glory hunter. I do prefer teams that are the underdogs. I'm slowly learning about City's history and give a lot of credit to the supporter who did stick with their club and being in the shadow of their neighbors all these years. That is what I love about this club. I was jumping up and down at 6 in the morning Hawaii time when Aguero scored that goal on that day. I must have meant so much more for all of you. Silva is still my favorite player, but I can say even when he moves on I will support the club. I watch every single match and live and die with the team. Gutted when we lose, elated when we win. Early matches are about 2 in the morning by the way. There are few football fans here where I live and I'm probably the only City fan, but oh well. Cheers from Hawaii!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.