Will they fire Mancini?

No talks yet out of Manchester City on new deal for Roberto Mancini
Duncan Castles
Mar 17, 2012

Manchester City remain relaxed about the contract situation of Roberto Mancini and are not considering replacing him with Jose Mourinho, even if the Italian manager fails to win a trophy this season.

City exited the Europa League in midweek leaving the pursuit of Manchester United for the Premier League this season's sole chance of silverware.

The club considers Mancini one of the top five managers in world football and see no value in ending a relationship they believe will deliver major titles in future campaigns, if not this one.

The executive team has been impressed by Mancini's readiness to take blame upon himself for recent failures, although their long-term commitment to the manager will be tested by a willingness to renew a contract that expires next year.

To date there have been no formal talks about an extension.

City find themselves in a position where they may face a resurgent Chelsea on Wednesday night four points adrift of United and there has been a degree of resistance to Mancini's management amongst the squad.

Some players complain that the Italian remains a distant figure, his training sessions are not enjoyable, and that the team's tactics do not properly exploit the talent available to him.

An aspect of Patrick Vieira's role as football development executive has been to provide a conduit between squad and manager.

Though his default position is to resist changing management, City owner Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed has demonstrated his readiness to act when judged necessary.

Less than two weeks ago Al Jazira, the UAE Pro League club he is chairman of, dismissed Franky Vercauteren as coach seven months after appointing the Belgian because of a breakdown in the relationship with players.

Mourinho is open to offers from Premier League clubs having taken the decision to leave Real Madrid this summer.

Yet the City hierarchy have concerns over the long-term legacy he would offer the club and the cost of employing a coach who earns over €10 million (Dh 48.39m) a year after tax in Spain.

Mourinho is seriously considering an approach from Tottenham Hotspur.

Potentially more appealing to City, however, is Pep Guardiola's less confrontational style of management.

The Barcelona coach has yet to decide on extending his contract at Camp Nou into a fifth season, but is expected to take a year's sabbatical from football even if he decides against it.

Didsbury Dave said:
rickmcfc said:
If we sacked Mancini i would be fucking livid. Success isn't winning a trophy or two every season, its winning them over a sustained period of time.
Er, am i missing something here? Call me captain obvious, but I would have thought that winning a trophy or two every season would result in winning them over a sustained period of time.

Let me give you an alternative definition of success. A team who get results consistently above expectations. This season it's man utd, Swansea , Norwich , Newcastle, even Liverpool . Teams whose managers have moulded them into a unit which is greater than the sum of it's parts.

At the end of the season adug need to decide if that's what Mancini has done with our squad, and whether they believe he can do that in future. If the answer is no, he's on the chuck bus. If it's yes he gets a new deal.
really?

LoveCity said:
Duncan Castles
Mar 17, 2012

Manchester City remain relaxed about the contract situation of Roberto Mancini and are not considering replacing him with Jose Mourinho, even if the Italian manager fails to win a trophy this season.

City exited the Europa League in midweek leaving the pursuit of Manchester United for the Premier League this season's sole chance of silverware.

The club considers Mancini one of the top five managers in world football and see no value in ending a relationship they believe will deliver major titles in future campaigns, if not this one.

The executive team has been impressed by Mancini's readiness to take blame upon himself for recent failures, although their long-term commitment to the manager will be tested by a willingness to renew a contract that expires next year.

City find themselves in a position where they may face a resurgent Chelsea on Wednesday night four points adrift of United and there has been a degree of resistance to Mancini's management amongst the squad.

Some players complain that the Italian remains a distant figure, his training sessions are not enjoyable, and that the team's tactics do not properly exploit the talent available to him.

An aspect of Patrick Vieira's role as football development executive has been to provide a conduit between squad and manager.

Though his default position is to resist changing management, City owner Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed has demonstrated his readiness to act when judged necessary.

Less than two weeks ago Al Jazira, the UAE Pro League club he is chairman of, dismissed Franky Vercauteren as coach seven months after appointing the Belgian because of a breakdown in the relationship with players.

Mourinho is open to offers from Premier League clubs having taken the decision to leave Real Madrid this summer.

Yet the City hierarchy have concerns over the long-term legacy he would offer the club and the cost of employing a coach who earns over €10 million (Dh 48.39m) a year after tax in Spain.

Potentially more appealing to City, however, is Pep Guardiola's less confrontational style of management.

The Barcelona coach has yet to decide on extending his contract at Camp Nou into a fifth season, but is expected to take a year's sabbatical from football even if he decides against it.

That's the end of that then, Forza Mancini.

If our owners were 100% committed to Mancini no matter the outcome of this season, don't you think he would already have signed a long-term contract rather than have the papers speculate?

LoveCity said:
Duncan Castles
Mar 17, 2012

I see Duncan has been on the forum again to muster up his next story...........

Danamy said:
LoveCity said:
Duncan Castles
Mar 17, 2012

I see Duncan has been on the forum again to muster up his next story...........

lol.

same thought crossed my mind as soon as I read the article.

i would rather of came 4th and won a cup..than 2nd and say we have had a good season....it seems to some on here we get something special for 2nd

Well, as Didsbury Dave has said previously, Duncan Castles is the man in the know when it comes to City stories.

So by that standard, it appears that my prediction that Mourinho is still not coming to City may be proved right... yet again!

I think I also suggested he would either remaion in Madrid or go to Spurs or Liverpool if the rags brief wasn't up for grabs in the summer.

And if Mourinho isn't coming then Mancini is as safe as houses. Isn't he? Well, isn't he!!

Soulboy said:
Well, as Didsbury Dave has said previously, Duncan Castles is the man in the know when it comes to City stories.

So by that standard, it appears that my prediction that Mourinho is still not coming to City may be proved right... yet again!

I think I also suggested he would either remaion in Madrid or go to Spurs or Liverpool if the rags brief wasn't up for grabs in the summer.

And if Mourinho isn't coming then Mancini is as safe as houses. Isn't he? Well, isn't he!!
Dpends mate. We may go after a manager that has had successful results this season and got their team playing better than the sum of its parts, like Dalglish at Liverpool.

citizens_1976 said:
Ell-ano said:
What is all this talk?! we are talking as if we have had one of the worst campaigns ever, maybe we should have won more trophies, but that happens you lose some games you shoudn't, we will have years of success in the future and i see Mancini at the helm when we do it, besides if Mourinho came, then Balotelli and maybe a few others would just follow Mancini anyway
Completely agree. Great post.

We haven't completely give up at all, we were beaten by a team that played better than us over the 2 legs. You have to give credit to where it is due sometimes. We had the hardest CL group and just didn't make it, we got knocked out in the semi final of the Carling Cup because of a bad penalty decision I believe, we were knocked out of the FA Cup in which Kompany was sent off wrongly and now we are 2nd in the PL in which United have done the unexpected and beat all of the teams you might have thought they wouldn't. We have had a great season, but sometimes there is a fine line between success and failure and we might just end up on the fine line of failure.
We will come back next season with a team that's more used to each other, players performing better (Aguero, Nasri etc) and a team with a few more stars in. It's looking great for the future.

If we had played like this in last years table, we'd be running away with it. United have had their best season for years and you really have to respect that. United are definitely favourites but you can't rule us out, we are capable of winning all 10 games with the players we have, we just don't have that mental attitude I believe to win a title- but it will come.

Mancini, at the very least deserves one more season. He's a winner and the players just aren't playing for him at the moment. He cannot make these players perform on a pitch and sometimes the players are to blame.

'He's a winner'

He's yet to prove that in the Prem.

' He cannot make these players perform'.

A pretty damning statement considering that the ability to do just that is a vital ability for a football manager.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.