Wolves PL (A) | Post Match Discussion

It was pretty close with the points your raised. Honestly think we are no where close to our peak and these players are still gelling.

We have stream rolled any team even the Fulham game was not a drubbing just clinical when needed. Rodri is crucial but his absence is blessing in disguise as Phillips is showing why he never got a break so pressure now to secure a proper cover. Pep got challenge to make us tick without Rodri so I’m very intrigued how he will tackle this with an in form Arsenal. They will take better advantage than Wolves so nervous at same times too.

This post is good coverage on Phillips -

And it also shows the importance of Rodri's role on the team at linking the play and how complex that role is. Phillips main strengths appear to be ball winning and giving the ball to someone else. Not dictating the game.

I'm curious about this week's games as they present a different challenge. We won't be facing a deep block. Having Bernardo or Stones back would be a big positive.

Not at all. I just wish we wouldn't be so slow and mechanical away from the Etihad. Since the start of last season we've scored more than once in less than 40% of our away matches and that number gets much worse against what would be considered top sides...We won twice, drew 3, and lost 4 in the Prem v. the 9 other top half of the table clubs away scoring 1 or less 6 times, 11 goals total. We won 8 and lost once v. those same teams at home, scoring 29 times. In the CL v. Sevilla, Dortmund, Copenhagen, Leipzig, Bayern, and RM we were a perfect 6-0-0 with 24 goals scored at home. 1-5-0 away with 7 goals scored. Stark differences. We are absolute monsters at the Etihad and a very good squad away with more flat performances than maybe we should have...

If it works then why change it away from home, It was just a bad day at the office and we always have them from time to time, What I did notice in the after-match interview at Newcastle I think it was. Pep said we have had no time to train and work on things, the Newcastle game finished late then the drive home into Thursday and back in for a warm-down and then back Friday morning,

It's a positive reaction we all want to see by the team in the Champions League game then Arsenal away, then let us see how well we have done.

And it also shows the importance of Rodri's role on the team at linking the play and how complex that role is. Phillips main strengths appear to be ball winning and giving the ball to someone else. Not dictating the game.

I'm curious about this week's games as they present a different challenge. We won't be facing a deep block. Having Bernardo or Stones back would be a big positive.

I think if John Stones was fit then missing Rodri would not stand out so much, I also think Josko Gvardiol could play that role in the middle

Well said. Our ‘poor’ away form is hardly ever discussed as the fact we are so good at home and usually end up winning the league masks over it. It’s certainly worth discussing though.
Yes, as I said we're a very good side away but nowhere near the side we are at home. Most teams are better at home but our disparity is large enough to be addressed. For me it's mostly due to how much slower we play away from the Etihad. The speed of play in possession goes down dramatically...hopefully we can navigate our way through these next two matches and come back from the break missing only KDB.

Thanks for sharing that video. Phillips is not bad player just not suitable for role. Pace is something he doesn’t have and is slow that could be down to lack of rhythm and playing time.

Yes, as I said we're a very good side away but nowhere near the side we are at home. Most teams are better at home but our disparity is large enough to be addressed. For me it's mostly due to how much slower we play away from the Etihad. The speed of play in possession goes down dramatically...hopefully we can navigate our way through these next two matches and come back from the break missing only KDB.
I think pitch is something that impacts our game. Certain pitches interrupts the flow of the game at the champions league final.

Yes, as I said we're a very good side away but nowhere near the side we are at home. Most teams are better at home but our disparity is large enough to be addressed. For me it's mostly due to how much slower we play away from the Etihad. The speed of play in possession goes down dramatically...hopefully we can navigate our way through these next two matches and come back from the break missing only KDB
Hmm this is a strange point to make.

Only twice in the last six years have City not had the best away record, they still won the league in one of them (last year) and came 2nd in the other (Liverpool won it during Covid).

What exactly are you expecting our record to look like? I'd imagine no club in history has ever won the league having a better away record than at home.

If Nunes lacks the character to ignore jeering former fans, he's probably not the type to stand up to real pressure. For God's sake, don't trust him with a penalty.
Weak mentality will always let you down.
I think it was more that Nunes presence was creating a more hostile atmosphere for the rest. He looked OK when he was on. He's only beeb working with Pep a few weeks.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.