World Cup 2018 | 3rd July | R16: Colombia vs England Match Thread, KO 19:00 (BST)

Whilst I agree with you, I’m not sure we’ve ever got this far ahead of ourselves:
“You can mark down 25 June 1978 as the day Scottish football conquers the world." So said Scotland manager Ally MacLeod as his team set out for the World Cup finals in Argentina.
25,000 Scots turned up to watch the players do a lap of honour around Hampden Park before they had even set off. “What will you do if you win the World Cup?” Trevor McDonald, reporting for ITN News, asked Ally Macleod that afternoon as he basked in the excitement flooding from the terraces. To which MacLeod replied, with the straightest of faces: ‘Retain it.’

I was at that send off as a young boy. So, I know everything there is to know about losing plots.

It just summed us up perfectly.

We went home after, no shame in Peru as they turned out not too bad, but drawing with Iran!!

Then we beat the finalists with the greatest WC goal ever.

Oh and you have. The Golden Generation you thought you would win it with them.

Although, to be fair, you never had a send off.

I will concede we take the title of, one off, losing the plot. You are more every tournament.

You are talking about who you will meet after them more than on them.
There is a sense of you getting a semi about the possible semi, when there’s no guarantee I’ve witnessed to suggest you will even get it up for Colombia.

One game at a time. That’s all I’m saying. And it will be a lot harder than, ok, some think. But not me.

I wouldn't pick one side of the draw over another, but I can perfectly understand why people would be looking at games after Colombia.

England might beat them, so why not ?

All of the teams in this competition are very very beatable imo, if you have a bit of luck. There are good players but no good teams.

I'd give Burnley a decent chance against any, including England.

You are talking about who you will meet after them more than on them.
There is a sense of you getting a semi about the possible semi, when there’s no guarantee I’ve witnessed to suggest you will even get it up for Colombia.

One game at a time. That’s all I’m saying. And it will be a lot harder than, ok, some think. But not me.

On the Colombia v England thread.

Good point, well made.
2w3p4xk.jpg

Cautious optimism. This is a good Colombia side imo, they'll be able to match us at set pieces then they have rapid players for the counter attack, Cuadrado will have a field day vs Young who runs through treacle these days, so hope Rose starts..Also hope James stays injured

They are susceptible to balls in behind but that's not Kane's forte, Sterling could be crucial.

Last edited:
I was at that send off as a young boy. So, I know everything there is to know about losing plots.

It just summed us up perfectly.

We went home after, no shame in Peru as they turned out not too bad, but drawing with Iran!!

Then we beat the finalists with the greatest WC goal ever.

Oh and you have. The Golden Generation you thought you would win it with them.

Although, to be fair, you never had a send off.

I will concede we take the title of, one off, losing the plot. You are more every tournament.
Funnily enough, as a 14 year old and it being a different time I suppose, I actually wanted Scotland to do well. I got quite excited when Archie scored against the Dutch primarily, I think, because I knew almost all the players. Whilst I still wanted everyone to beat the rags, I wanted all the English teams to win in Europe and, if ythey went out, the Scottish ones to win except Celtic, obviously! As for the every tournament thing I think it’s mainly the idiot press we have and their insatiable desire to knock everyone down. Before you can do that, you have to build them up, so the fall can appear all that much greater. As a football fan I don’t think I’ve ever thought England would win a tournament although, as it’s essentially a cup competition, I’ve equally never understood why we’ve performed quite so badly. For me, it’s not losing but how you lose and England have almost always surrendered meekly, the obvious exceptions being 1990 and 1996.
As for the ‘golden generation’ the management of them was shockingly bad. Imagine Guardiola saying that he couldn’t fit Lampard, Gerrard and Scholes into a midfield without playing them all out of position? He actually said, in 2017, that that group of players was on a par with the Spanish group and he really couldn’t understand why they’d achieved so little.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.