Worst And Best Cities You've Visited.

My best and worst city is the same: Kathmandu in Nepal. All the beauty and all the worst parts of city life squished and weaved together. This city is a spiritual oasis and gateway to the mountains with a variety of cultures and people, but is a wreck in places. Open sewers and

#1 Dubrovnik (Croatia): accessible to so many stunning surroundings and a great walled city that is almost like a village. Lady Pipi's restaurant at the top end of town is wonderful.

#2 Prague (Czech Republic): historic, great boatels, fantastic for ice in winter and super beers.

#3 Yokohama (Japan): a stunnjing harbour and naval city, with great views of Mount Fuji, delightful museums

#4 Hamburg (Germany): great model railway and submarine museums, stunning parks, scenic and good & chips.

#5 Hong Kong (China): best velodrome ever, easy to travel to tropical islands around it, friendly people, green and where better for East to mix with West (until recently)

WORST:
Changsha, Hunan (China). Many Chinese cities are copied and pasted, rebuilt, over-developed, grey and unwelcoming. This one prides itself on cigarette factories, some branded for MZD. Toilet of a city.
I wouldn't say Chinese cities are unwelcoming, a bit foreboding, and uniform in a prosaic way, but the people are generally polite, pleasant, curious and helpful.
If you get out in the countryside you'll be welcomed with open arms.

Best: Berlin (tough choice as there are lots of them)

Worst (by a country mile amazing when you consider that I used to go down to Belize City in the 80’s): Vancouver

You must have had a bad experience/ got bummed or robbed in Sydney. Sydney shits all over London as a pleasant city to visit . Bumped in to Kyle Minogue last time I was in bondi.
Well that makes it 10 x better!

I liked Sydney but prefer cities with more history so can see why people prefer London, as I do. The harbour area where you get the boat to Manly though is stunning.

Mexico City was great when I was there - but it was Halloween and the whole place dresses up to go out. The main areas are quite safe.
Having said that we went to find some live music in a square about three blocks from the safe areas and I'm pretty certain that we had our own police spotters making sure that the locals knew that they were keeping an eye on us. One beer and we were out of there!

Baku in Azerbaijan was very boring. There was barely anything to do. I was only there to see Wales back in 2019.

I wouldn't say Chinese cities are unwelcoming, a bit foreboding, and uniform in a prosaic way, but the people are generally polite, pleasant, curious and helpful.
If you get out in the countryside you'll be welcomed with open arms.

Most people there are welcoming but the sprawls, sparseness between old villages and the lack of the true historic buildings doesn't help. The stylistic rebuilds of old places, remained since the Cultural Revolution definitely is a blight on cities green from villages.

The countryside and the hidden or well wandered areas away from cities are a godsend. Shangri-la, Kunming, Lhasa, etc have been rebuilt following convenient fires... but retain character. Actually, found most northern remote regions truly fascinating.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.