would you sack the medical staff now ?

I go to the matches with a Dr friend of mine who's also one of those mid life crisis triathlon freaks. Often he's commentated on our pre match warm up routine not being adequate - but also saying perhaps more goes on when they go back in pre match.

I have noticed our warm ups lack the intensity and diversity of other teams.

But without being a sports scientist - who knows?

Soft tissue injuries do not fall at the door of the medical or sport science staff but that of Pellegrini.

The staff, technology and facilities at the CFA are world class and they will know when our players are at risk of injury.

They can do everything within their power but at the end of the day it's all up to the manager who plays and who doesn't.

I speak with some knowledge on the subject.

Lest also not forget that the majority of our main players have been playing football non stop for the last 5/6 years - if you take into account international football and the fact they are travelling all over the world for pre season etc. These guys are on the brink of burn out - especially with the level of intensity they train and play at.

I'm not surprised - with the number of injuries - plus I just think the likes of Vinny & Aguero are just in the category of injury prone players

Soft tissue injuries do not fall at the door of the medical or sport science staff but that of Pellegrini.

The staff, technology and facilities at the CFA are world class and they will know when our players are at risk of injury.

They can do everything within their power but at the end of the day it's all up to the manager who plays and who doesn't.

I speak with some knowledge on the subject.
I don't think you can solely blame the manager although I agree that he can often play a major role. It's always a battle between players, managers and the medical staff around whether players are fit or not. Dr Batty used to consider all aspects when deciding if players could play. Even if a player wasn't 100% he would make a judgement and clear them to play if he felt that playing was better for them mentally and weigh that against the risk of aggravating the injury. What he wouldn't do is allow players to play when the risk outweighed the benefit, even if that risked upsetting Mancini.

If a player who was previously fit pulls up in training or the warm-up then that could be down to poor sports science or the way we train. I'm not an expert but I asked someone who was and they said that muscles can be made more resistant to tears with proper conditioning and the way we train has an impact on that. If he's ignoring what the medical and fitness staff are telling him then he has to carry much of the can. If they're not telling him the right thing then they have to take much of the blame.

So I may have been a bit harsh on Dr Sala and his staff although the fact our injury record in 2012/13 was significantly worse when we had the same manager but a different doctor makes me think I wasn't.

I don't think you can solely blame the manager although I agree that he can often play a major role. It's always a battle between players, managers and the medical staff around whether players are fit or not. Dr Batty used to consider all aspects when deciding if players could play. Even if a player wasn't 100% he would make a judgement and clear them to play if he felt that playing was better for them mentally and weigh that against the risk of aggravating the injury. What he wouldn't do is allow players to play when the risk outweighed the benefit, even if that risked upsetting Mancini.

If a player who was previously fit pulls up in training or the warm-up then that could be down to poor sports science or the way we train. I'm not an expert but I asked someone who was and they said that muscles can be made more resistant to tears with proper conditioning and the way we train has an impact on that. If he's ignoring what the medical and fitness staff are telling him then he has to carry much of the can. If they're not telling him the right thing then they have to take much of the blame.

So I may have been a bit harsh on Dr Sala and his staff although the fact our injury record in 2012/13 was significantly worse when we had the same manager but a different doctor makes me think I wasn't.

My main issue is not about exposing players who are still recovering from injuries to high match and training loads, but maybe not using the data collected by the sport science staff that will indicate when a player is at risk of a soft tissue injury.

All the players will do a lot of conditioning work to reduce injury risk. The players will also be expected to take appropriate measures away from training (i.e., day after matches when they won't go into the CFA; things like nutrition and use of recovery modalities). However, all that work can be undone by the manager and coaches over exposing players.

A lot of the players will be at high risk of injury tomorrow night, but unfortunately Pellegrini won't rest them. I can appreciate why he won't though.

I am sure given the investment in the academy that we have well qualified staff, but I get the feeling that commercial non--footballing interests took precedence over conditioning in the Summer, and that has had an impact now.

it would unfair maybe , but no doubt this should be looked into

case in point , jovetic at inter playing regularly he just scored today again , and Richards playing continuously ( just the odd niggle)

Some interesting stats in today's Sunday Times for 14/15 season.

Total days lost through injury:
City 1464
PL average 1583

Number of injuries:
City 59
PL average 64

Injuries lasting more than 10 days:
City 38
PL average 38

Ave days missed per injury:
City 24.8
Pl average 25.3

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.