Xmas food

only ever made it once with cabbage and am not a fan, but when did the beef was blushed with mustard, topped wothe duxelle then wrapped in the blanched cabbage and left overnight before folded in pastry, it worked out fine. as I say not my prefered method but have experienced it

Knew a french chef used to do beef en croute in a similar way but would wrap the fillet in savoury crepes before the pastry as a barrier.

Don't think there is an exact way if honest, as long as it's beef, duxelle and pastry it can be modified as required
But what was the finished product nestling on at service?

I remember going in M&S last year and their Turkeys started at 45 quid!! I thought that can’t be right so went next door to Sainsburys and they were 12 quid. How the feck can you justify that price differential? M&S turkeys must lead a charmed life (or not as the case maybe!) dining out on foie gras n truffles.
A decent size bronze free range Turkey will set you back over £100 this Christmas.

We all tend to be 'meated out' at xmas.

A bit like the Monty Python, there's not much spam in it but Halloumi in blankets is a great addition to dinner rather than pigs.

I’m somewhat limited as to what I can cook and eat at the minute so it’ll be a ready meal eaten out of the carton for me, living the dream :-)

Bet these are gorgeous .....NOT

classic recipes call for a extra binding before wrapped in pastry, some use crapenette or Streaky bacon, others use savoy cabbage

they absorb the moisture of the duxelle and meat

Parma ham works really well.

I do a wellington every year on the day everyone arrives for Christmas (usually 22nd/23rd).

You can save a litle bit of money and cater to people who won't eat medium-rare meat by getting the tail end of the fillet as opposed to the centre cut typically used for wellingtons. The thinner end will cook quicker than the thick end.

That or do individual ones, but I find the ratio of meat to pastry is wrong when you do that.

My biggest tip (for other readers as you obviously know what you're doing) is to rest it longer than you think. When I first started I thought the pastry would go soggy as it rested, but in experience you're more likely to get soggy pastry from the juices going everywhere when you cut it before it's rested enough.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.