Yaya Toure apologises for accusing Guardiola of ‘having problems with Africans’

Really? I get the reasons why Yaya never got honoured by the club in the same way Silva, Aguero, Vinny did, but it’s a shame many fans can’t look objectively at what he did for us. To lump him in with many of our “thousands of players” is a huge disservice.

Yaya was the fucking talisman of our side way before Aguero, Silva or KDB ever were. His performances dragged us to that first trophy in 35 years and the first title in 41. To this day I still believe we wouldn’t have needed that Aguero moment had Yaya not gone off injured (not that I’m complaining). His performances in 13/14 have to be the best I’ve seen from a city midfielder in my lifetime.

Yes, he nosedived from 15/16 onwards but he was gone 33 at that point.

Not saying he should have a statue mind you, we’ve more than enough now.

This is pretty fair. I do agree with @Northerndave on his 4 criteria for a player being rewarded with a statue mind - Yaya, for all his qualities as a player, doesn’t deserve one.

I'm sorry but Fernandinho was nowhere near the levels of Taya from either an ability or influence on major Honours. I love Fernandinho and respect his function, captain status, the longevity of his career but YaYa has been the more influential player.

I wouldn't begrudge him a statue but imho YaYa is more worthy
I just feel for a statue now it's brilliance as well as longevity that's needed. I don't think we could have had anyone better than Fern in his role over this time.

To move the conversation slightly - if we were to win the Champions League, a few of the players could be considered for statues at some point. We need to be fairly demanding of the highest standards to get one - Vinny, David and Sergio were all total professionals. They bought into Manchester as well as being great players and winners. Fern is practically a Manc in some ways - we'd never say that about Yaya, however we'll he did.

Amazing that this thread has arisen, like Lazarus.
For me, there may be only a few players and a few managers that deserve to be given a statue.

There has to be solid reasoning as to why and I would suggest service to the club and there has to be an account of a character in there.

As an example, Pep, Kompany, Bell, Aguero, Mercer, Silva and Tony Book and others such as Buzzer would be my automatic choices. (list is not inclusive)

Yaya? Yes he was great, for 4-5 years, but so have been many of our thousands of players and in 9 years he only made 230 appearances, and every 2-3 years him and his mental manager used to slag our club off mercilessly and then popped the cherry on with a Racist accusation of Pep, who rightly moved him on.

Great player at times - Yes, Great person - No, Showed City Love - No, Statue - No.

3-1 defeat for Yaya.
Spot on Dave.

Really? I get the reasons why Yaya never got honoured by the club in the same way Silva, Aguero, Vinny did, but it’s a shame many fans can’t look objectively at what he did for us. To lump him in with many of our “thousands of players” is a huge disservice.

Yaya was the fucking talisman of our side way before Aguero, Silva or KDB ever were. His performances dragged us to that first trophy in 35 years and the first title in 41. To this day I still believe we wouldn’t have needed that Aguero moment had Yaya not gone off injured (not that I’m complaining). His performances in 13/14 have to be the best I’ve seen from a city midfielder in my lifetime.

Yes, he nosedived from 15/16 onwards but he was gone 33 at that point.

Not saying he should have a statue mind you, we’ve more than enough now.

Silva and Aguero mean much more to me as a City fan than moaning Yaya, as for being the "Talisman" IMHO he doesn't come close to Aguero who only arrived a season later and David Silva the same season as Yaya came.

If we had a time machine I would take a David Silva or an Aguero over a Yaya any day of the week, it takes more than being a good player to take all of the City fans with you, you have to be a decent person and not a complete tool.

No subscription required.

“I want to apologise for what happened, I want to apologise for doing something wrong,” Toure has said.

“When something happens that is wrong and you make a mistake, or people use your name and use you to do some wrong stuff, you have to make it OK,” Toure says. “This one was wrong. I want to apologise for what happened, I want to apologise for doing something wrong.

“We decided we would try to communicate with some important people at the club to apologise and say I’ve been indecent to the club.
I have no patience with any of this as far as Yaya is concerned. He could have been a genuine Club legend with at least a statue in his honour. But he (and his loathsome agent) just couldnt enjoy their success and keep their traps shut.

For me, he has ruined his legacy at the Club.

Silva and Aguero mean much more to me as a City fan than moaning Yaya, as for being the "Talisman" IMHO he doesn't come close to Aguero who only arrived a season later and David Silva the same season as Yaya came.

If we had a time machine I would take a David Silva or an Aguero over a Yaya any day of the week, it takes more than being a good player to take all of the City fans with you, you have to be a decent person and not a complete tool.

You just proved my point though really with a reference to “moaning Yaya” in your first sentence. It shouldn’t cloud his achievements on the field in my opinion.

Didn’t say he was more of a talismanic figure for us than Aguero or Silva ever went on to be, only that he was the first. Yaya had already been a huge influence for us in winning that FA cup in 2011 before Sergio even arrived, and it was 11/12 before we saw the best of Silva too. Personally I won’t ever forget that.

You just proved my point though really with a reference to “moaning Yaya” in your first sentence. It shouldn’t cloud his achievements on the field in my opinion.

Didn’t say he was more of a talismanic figure for us than Aguero or Silva ever went on to be, only that he was the first. Yaya had already been a huge influence for us in winning that FA cup in 2011 before Sergio even arrived, and it was 11/12 before we saw the best of Silva too. Personally I won’t ever forget that.

There isn't a point to prove though mate, he's a moaning arse. If a statue was built for him (Considering he's a Muslim and may not even want one built) if he did he's want it bigger than anyone elses.

You can't separate the arse from the player, was he a great player? Yes but what a complete tool.

Not exactly Colin bloody Bell is he :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.