Yaya Toure apologises for accusing Guardiola of ‘having problems with Africans’

He played like a statue for his last season or two, leaving Fernandinho to do both of their work.

Yes he was involved in great moments and was brilliant for 3 or 4 years, but that's not enough for a statue as far as I'm concerned. If we went down that road we'd have about 50 statues going up in a few more years.

Fernandinho would be next on the list for me. A top performer for a longer period and not one hint of a problem.
I'm sorry but Fernandinho was nowhere near the levels of Yaya from either an ability or influence on major Honours. I love Fernandinho and respect his function, captain status, the longevity of his career but YaYa has been the more influential player.

I wouldn't begrudge him a statue but imho YaYa is more worthy

Last edited:
Amazing that this thread has arisen, like Lazarus.
For me, there may be only a few players and a few managers that deserve to be given a statue.

There has to be solid reasoning as to why and I would suggest service to the club and there has to be an account of a character in there.

As an example, Pep, Kompany, Bell, Aguero, Mercer, Silva and Tony Book and others such as Buzzer would be my automatic choices. (list is not inclusive)

Yaya? Yes he was great, for 4-5 years, but so have been many of our thousands of players and in 9 years he only made 230 appearances, and every 2-3 years him and his mental manager used to slag our club off mercilessly and then popped the cherry on with a Racist accusation of Pep, who rightly moved him on.

Great player at times - Yes, Great person - No, Showed City Love - No, Statue - No.

3-1 defeat for Yaya.
Really? I get the reasons why Yaya never got honoured by the club in the same way Silva, Aguero, Vinny did, but it’s a shame many fans can’t look objectively at what he did for us. To lump him in with many of our “thousands of players” is a huge disservice.

Yaya was the fucking talisman of our side way before Aguero, Silva or KDB ever were. His performances dragged us to that first trophy in 35 years and the first title in 41. To this day I still believe we wouldn’t have needed that Aguero moment had Yaya not gone off injured (not that I’m complaining). His performances in 13/14 have to be the best I’ve seen from a city midfielder in my lifetime.

Yes, he nosedived from 15/16 onwards but he was gone 33 at that point.

Not saying he should have a statue mind you, we’ve more than enough now.

I'm sorry but Fernandinho was nowhere near the levels of Taya from either an ability or influence on major Honours. I love Fernandinho and respect his function, captain status, the longevity of his career but YaYa has been the more influential player.

I wouldn't begrudge him a statue but imho YaYa is more worthy
Fernandinho did what Java Garcia and Fernando couldn’t and that was win the midfield battle in a 2 with Yaya, whilst allowing Yaya to get forward and score/assist and amble back, leaving Fernandinho exposed.

This wasn’t easy. Look at the career Fernando has had since. It wasn’t because he was shit, it was because he wasn’t superhuman, which Dinho was for 5 years.

Fernandinho did what Java Garcia and Fernando couldn’t and that was win the midfield battle in a 2 with Yaya, whilst allowing Yaya to get forward and score/assist and amble back, leaving Fernandinho exposed.

This wasn’t easy. Look at the career Fernando has had since. It wasn’t because he was shit, it was because he wasn’t superhuman, which Dinho was for 5 years.
Fernandinho is absolute class, I agree with that.
Ideally they both get statues!

I thought the ‘offended by everything’ tag was for the bindippers?

Yes he’s made mistakes, anyone in this thread blameless? Never dropped a bollock? Said something they regret?

His errors off the pitch do not detract from the absolute colossus he was on the pitch at a critical time in our history.

For me he is above all the other players that already have statues.

He’s had the guts to correct his mistakes and credit to him for that. No need for the cynicism take it at face value like we his misdemeanours.

Let those without sin cast the first stone.
images.jpeg

Really? I get the reasons why Yaya never got honoured by the club in the same way Silva, Aguero, Vinny did, but it’s a shame many fans can’t look objectively at what he did for us. To lump him in with many of our “thousands of players” is a huge disservice.

Yaya was the fucking talisman of our side way before Aguero, Silva or KDB ever were. His performances dragged us to that first trophy in 35 years and the first title in 41. To this day I still believe we wouldn’t have needed that Aguero moment had Yaya not gone off injured (not that I’m complaining). His performances in 13/14 have to be the best I’ve seen from a city midfielder in my lifetime.

Yes, he nosedived from 15/16 onwards but he was gone 33 at that point.

Not saying he should have a statue mind you, we’ve more than enough now.
Good post and I agree. Quite simply, Toure created history. Statue or not - I'm bored with that but as fans we should be grateful for and revel in iconic moments creating never to be forgotten memories. He provided so many of these and as a fan that's what I remember.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.