yaya.....

Re: Yaya - World class

He's not world class, touches at it now and then but you have to be consistent to be world class and he certainly isn't that, love him to bits btw........

He is not supposed to carry us every single game, other midfielders have to step in.

knuckles said:
daxman said:
knuckles said:
Isn't football great? - 2 people can watch the same game and have completely different points of view, I see Garcia, poor at passing, tackling is poor, very slow at running/turning/stopping, zero anticipation, playing in a position that is key in any team where one mistake is often fatal - granted he was put in that position by the manager - but you see a player (and backed up by your stats) that is a talented, great tackler that can pass to a blue shirt more often than not, and that gets out of trouble more than the one defender that had a good game on the day??????
Poor at passing you say: Yet completes 93% of his passes. More accurate passes than Nastasic 91% , Zaba 83% or Kolarov 77%. He didn't make a single tackle in the game. Didn't have to. His positioning was that good. Nasty made 1 tackle. Which shows you they both werent tackling. They tried to anticipate instead.
Slow at running, turning or stopping: This is simply conjecture (at least on today's perfomance) didn't lose his player once all game.
Zero anticipation you say: If that is true, he must be the most lucky guy alive- Led the team with 4 interceptions. That is the epitome of anticipation and positioning. He was magnificent at it today.
Mistakes you ask? Nastasic had 4, kolarov had 2, Zaba 1, Garcia 1. So I guess we shouldn't play any of them then.

Like I said, most of the whinning about Garcia is mainly make belief. He is no superstar, but he is far from our worst player. In the 2 games he has played at CD, he has been either the best defender or 2nd best. Why he gets all the flak is just make belief. S

As I said football is great at bringing out different points of view, I watch the game, as I did today and see a player that is just not very good - stats only tell you so much, if you watch a player you can see (with my unprofessional footballing eye maybe - I am just a spectator) if he is a class act or not. I watched Kalarov's video on youtube before he signed for us, he looked fantastic, had great stats, really looked like he was going to be great for us, then however I saw him "play" - he is far from the "world class" player his youtube video and stats would have you believe, for me Garcia is the same. But if you think he is good because his stats say he is that's fine.
We are talking about 2 different things here. I never once called him a star or class act. But he is far far away from the useless novice he is made out to be. And part of the reason why the fallacy persists is because people's prejudgments cloud what they are watching. All you need to do to see this is here the commentators calling the game:

From the beginning they were whinning about Pellegrini putting a midfielder in a CDs position and how this made no sense. When Zaba made a bad pass, they complained about Garcia's akward approach to the bad pass. How else do you approach a pass under pressure as the last man, but akwardly. The mistake was Zaba's but they didn't see that.

A few minutes later he intercepts a Walters pass by jumping Jone's run, the commentators response? "Oh Garcia got lucky there, this central partnership is shaky, and Stoke will get at them soon. Garcia just doesn't know how to play it like a defender.
Again, sidestepping his achievements and discussing Pelegrini unbelieavable choice of Garcia over Lescott. And when he finally makes the 1 mistake he made all game, the poor clearance, they focused on it for the next 5 minutes. Ignoring the fact that is great positioning and anticipation actually got him in that position to start with.

This is how most watch him. Going "aha!", with every bubbled pass they see, or mis clearance. But they ignore the fact that the guy he is covering is never open, nor his he the one getting beat near post, or in the air, or losing his player in the mille. An when he quietly steps in between a key pass, or takes an early foul to stop an impending attack. No one bats an eyelid.

On today's performance, only Yaya and Hart had an arguably better day. That leaves 11 other players who played today.

Hes physically great, does clever things, scores some important goals but if you compare him to the best holding / attacking midfielders he isnt there with consistency and work rate. He isnt the engine and all rounder schweinsteiger is, he isnt the defensive cover javi martinez is and he doesnt get the goals players like thomas muller do, or have the speed to add to the attack that ozil and gotze do....
He ll always be a legend for what he did in the title winning season but he has to play to the strengths of the team and consistently work hard to get back to that level!

cookster said:
Play him behind the forward or don't bother![/q

I think Yaya playing deep is a big reason why we're looking so poor - if Pellers is playing him like this cos he's worried about the state of the defence then why doesn't he just play him as Centre Half, like he did against the rags in CL final. We could then get rid of Garci and play an extra forward thinking, creative player in midfiled - or put Barry in - oops sorry forgot we gave him away to Everton.......................

he is world class, if anyone thinks different fair enough, but chelsea,rags,arsenal and spurs would take him in a heartbeat, workrate the english disease

hilts said:
he is world class, if anyone thinks different fair enough, but chelsea,rags,arsenal and spurs would take him in a heartbeat, workrate the english disease

Unfortunately, we have to play in the English league where all too often we see teams with better workrate than ours stopping us from playing/winning.

Regardless of the standard of his playing ability,this fella is no Captain.

He has zero leadership qualities,in fact he often displaying traits of the complete opposite......

So can someone explain why he is wearing the armband in the absence of Kompany? because i'm baffled??

FantasyIreland said:
Regardless of the standard of his playing ability,this fella is no Captain.

He has zero leadership qualities,in fact he often displaying traits of the complete opposite......

So can someone explain why he is wearing the armband in the absence of Kompany? because i'm baffled??
The other players respect him. That is why. And he did exhibit a lot of leadership qualities today. He fought for the ball, and was the only one charging forward in extra time. Everywhere he has been, teammates have always differed to him. Even on the national team, when Drogba was the star and Kolo the captain, most of the players were stil deferential to the young Yaya. And that was 10 years ago.

He has always commanded the respect of other players. I always laugh when I see the the "not captain material" comments.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.