yaya.....

BringBackSwales said:
magiccue01 said:
Yaya is becoming a liability. He keeps shirking his defensive responsibilities and does not run to cover defensively anymore. Against premiere league teams we may be able to get away with it but against top opposition we will be found wanting.

I just told someone off for calling a poster a dickhead on another thread. Now I am going to have to tell myself off for calling you a dickhead, you dickhead

Is calling someone a Dickhead bad though, if they really are one ?

mancity5 said:
BringBackSwales said:
magiccue01 said:
Yaya is becoming a liability. He keeps shirking his defensive responsibilities and does not run to cover defensively anymore. Against premiere league teams we may be able to get away with it but against top opposition we will be found wanting.

I just told someone off for calling a poster a dickhead on another thread. Now I am going to have to tell myself off for calling you a dickhead, you dickhead

Is calling someone a Dickhead bad though, if they really are one ?

no, not it isn't, definitely in this case

Taking off a striker for a defensive midfielder, and moving yaya further forward, towards the end of matches has to be, in part, a recognition that when we expect more pressure from them, yaya isn't going to provide the sort of cover necesarry (at that stage of the game at least) and so his attacking qualities are where he will be most useful. Its a shame that Javi's defensive qualities are more preferable to Yaya's in those moments because he is nowhere near as good ability wise, possibly just more in the application (in these scenarios).

dajd1984 said:
I rate yaya as being in the top three players at the club (possibly behind Kun and Dave) but there are more than a few moments where he frustrates me.

Take the first goal we conceded against Swansea as a case in point, and watch it back in slow motion if needed. They start to threaten with our back four fairly well organised and in a line around the 18 yard line (Swansea have the ball outside our area). Yaya and fernandinho are in front of our defence, presumably to provide protection, but Yaya applies no pressure to the man on the ball and allows him the time and space to think/cross/shoot/make an easy pass. So Nastasic then feels that he had to step out of that defensive line to close him down. By this stage however, he's had that extra second to decide what to do, we now have a defender out of position, Kompany (who looks torn between coming and going) has to come across to cover Nasty and Zaba has to do the same to cover Kompany. This split second moment of adjustment ends up with Kompany being in no mans land and missing the ball, Zaba making half the challenge that Kompany would have made on the goal scorer if in their regular positions and 'all' because Yaya didn't apply any pressure to an attacking midfielder, on the ball, about two yards away from him.
This really happened, maybe people won't see it the same or can explain further nuances of the situation to me but I'm not blindly criticising Yaya. He fails on his defensive duties (without the ball) on a number of occassions each game and without any change we will continue to concede goals that we dont need to.

I totally agree with this (and the OP). I watched exactly what you're talking about in real time - in fact I was watching Yaya deliberately as it unfolded.

So pleased we have him but I think he could impose himself on the midfield at lot more than he does. It frustrates me as he's a world beater whenever he wants to be.

Commentators have already decided that he's a marauding juggernaut of a player in every single match but I think that's the case in less than half his games. That's not going to matter so much if he keeps on weighing in with important goals.

Agree with much said on here. Makes me wonder why we insist on trying 4-4-2 away given his defensive limitations. Maybe we should just accept he's best in the hole behind the lone striker and play 4 others in midfield for our away games? We looked a whole lot better yesterday when we brought Garcia on an pushed Yaya forward. He's got bloody good composure in front of goal and his free kicks have been incredible.

If he doesn't have to run up and down so much, he might last the 90 minutes somewhat better as well.

An wise old manager I had some years back (not football, a manager in work) always wanted to find out what your strengths and weaknesses were. But unlike most managers who were obsessed with getting you on training courses and stuff to improve your weaknesses, this guy would just say right I'll give you stuff to do that you are good at, and I'll get someone else doing the stuff you can't do. He used the whole team most effectively and always got results. Playing people to their strengths. If Yaya is a liability defensively, why do we keep asking him to do it???

keneke1234 said:
Class going forward, shit at defending. Still world class tho.

World class on his day. Unlike Fernandinho or Zabs who bring it every single game.

I cant believe the reaction sometimes on here when plays don't have the greatest of games week in week out.

Toure is world class and we would be less of a team with out him in it.

A few others have started to step up to the plate including Kolarov.

Can't believe I'm seeing threads criticising Yaya and Negredo ! Yaya (FA cup winning goal scorer) scored yesterday and I never did give a shite about his defensive abilities anyway , Negredo has come off the bench to score how many champions league goals for us ? That's right, 5 goals and 1 assist !!

Honestly some of the shit I read on here makes me furious

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.