Yaya

Status
Not open for further replies.
Taken a lot of stick this season (and deserved a lot of it)

So let's show the big man some love!

We do play some great football when Yaya is part of a two man midfield. Just not very often vs a quality team.

And of course if we had two wide players who tucked in next to him when we lost possession, then it would be less of a problem. But then it wouldn't be a two, it would be a four.

Three is probably the minimum required in order to make up for his defensive liabilities. Pep often puts his fullbacks in midfield & is on his own planet, so he could decide to keep Yaya as part of his plan but I'd be surprised, as although Yaya is a great player & unique, he isn't essential in a team plan & there are many of non Yaya ways of playing football & succeeding, without having to fit him in.

He'll always be a City great, for what he's done, whatever happens & imo would have been better still, playing under better managers.

It's only last night's formation that allow him to shine properly. Everyone can and could see that he's no good in a midfield two.
The injuries to Navas, De Bruyne and Nasri mean he can stay further up the pitch. The two ferns and Delph need to be used for the mid two.

Yep, agree with pretty much all of that.

The issue has never been playing Yaya in a two man midfield, in and of itself. Even this season, the majority of our best football, with the exception of Sevilla, has come when he has played there. The problem has been that we haven't been anywhere near compact enough for the majority of the season, notably because Kompany hasn't been playing. It's not the only reason, but it's a huge one. First five games, we defended aggressively up the pitch, compressed the game, and there was no issue with playing Yaya and Fernandinho together as a two man midfield. Kompany gets injured, and suddenly our back four are defending 10 yards deeper, meaning that there's a huge gap behind the midfield, and Yaya looks hopeless as any semi-decent opponents are able to get into that space so easily and hurt us. Kompany comes back, we start defending aggressvely (properly, you might call it), and Yaya looks entirely comfortable again playing in a two man midfield.

He's obviously not the player he was in 2011/12 when he was at his peak. But if Kompany stays fit until the end of the season, he'll still have plenty to contribute.

And I share your hope that Pellegrini sticks with the same system from hereon in!
Agreed 100%. I really hope he keeps last night's system. Almost everyone looked a better player because of it.

I don't think many doubt his ability to still come up with the odd great moment. Still think we'd be better getting rid of him in the Summer though. As a team when he is on the pitch we almost always choose to rely on him but whether he played well last night or not, on the whole he is no longer reliable. We need to move on IMO and try to build around other players.

It's only last night's formation that allow him to shine properly. Everyone can and could see that he's no good in a midfield two.
The injuries to Navas, De Bruyne and Nasri mean he can stay further up the pitch. The two ferns and Delph need to be used for the mid two.
We wouldn't be able control the game with the two Ferns and/or Delph. They need a technical player next to them, and Yaya is the only one we have who can play in a deeper central role.

He played in a midfield two yesterday, though, and was quite great in it.

We wouldn't be able control the game with the two Ferns and/or Delph. They need a technical player next to them, and Yaya is the only one we have who can play in a deeper central role.

Not neccessarily true.

We were better in Seville, than last night for example but couldn't create shit v Villa with the same kind of team, when a bit more tired. I doubt there is a general rule of one or the other. Just depends who we are playing against, how they set up & how fit we are on the day I recon.

If we get the opportunity, & are giving someone a good twatting, I would like to see Yaya off, & Aleix Garcia with the two Ferns. See how it looks.

Not really. The two ferns played a disciplined game in the middle which gave yaya a licence to wander a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.