Yaya

Status
Not open for further replies.
How? Where was it weak? What was wrong with it?
You can't cover Toure's inability to sprint entirely, but some systems are better than others.

When we don't have the ball, Fernando, Delph, Fernandinho can close the space down quickly and shepherd the opponent away but Yaya can't get close and this hurts us all the time. I think it explains in large part our poor results against the better teams who are able to retain possession.

We were reminded of the good and bad in Yaya's game last night. I think it would be much better to use him from the bench in games like the League Cup Final when its stretched in the last 20 mins or in extra time. He could be decisive then. Or start him against weaker opponents at home.

I think Pellegrini is going to carry on playing him whenever possible and that is going to limit our success this season.

We don't have a replacement, and we have injuries but there are still plenty of options eg play Kompany in the defensive midfield role, or Zabaleta. They have both done that before. None of this is ideal of course but I think if we play against any top side we'll be left chasing shadows in midfield if Toure plays.

He is so frustrating but so brilliant.

He shouldn't really be starting games for us anymore but he still has a lot to offer.

Thought this was summed up when Kiev scored, just watched the ball go to their player with no attempt to close him down.

Then he goes and scores an absolute screamer.

Think his legacy here has been slightly tainted by the last two seasons but he will always be remembered for the huge goals he has scored for us.

Without him, we wouldn't be where we are today.

FA cup semi final and final winning goals, Newcastle away, Capital One Cup final equaliser.

Every trophy we have won since the takeover would not have been won without him.

Huge
Agree with every word of that. It's sad to see. The goal last night was a reminder of what he has done so many times. And it was very significant, but those moments are getting rarer, and more to the point in between he's a liability defensively. It was marginal last season. Now it's a real issue.

Guardian Football have an article about life left yet in Yaya Toure http://www.theguardian.com/football...-city-yaya-toure-dynamo-kyiv-champions-league

I think he'd prefer to play a meaningful role as an impact sub and leave with another winners medal than as also rans which is what will likely happen if he carries on playing every game

Apologies if already posted.

Manchester City FC ‏@MCFC 2m2 minutes ago
.@YayaToure's strike has been nominated for @UEFA' Goal of the Week! #mcfc Vote here: http://manc.it/1XOEniX
1f64c.png

You can't cover Toure's inability to sprint entirely, but some systems are better than others.

When we don't have the ball, Fernando, Delph, Fernandinho can close the space down quickly and shepherd the opponent away but Yaya can't get close and this hurts us all the time. I think it explains in large part our poor results against the better teams who are able to retain possession.

We were reminded of the good and bad in Yaya's game last night. I think it would be much better to use him from the bench in games like the League Cup Final when its stretched in the last 20 mins or in extra time. He could be decisive then. Or start him against weaker opponents at home.

I think Pellegrini is going to carry on playing him whenever possible and that is going to limit our success this season.

We don't have a replacement, and we have injuries but there are still plenty of options eg play Kompany in the defensive midfield role, or Zabaleta. They have both done that before. None of this is ideal of course but I think if we play against any top side we'll be left chasing shadows in midfield if Toure plays.

Play Kompany or Zaba in defensive midfield? Where do you play Fernando then?

See this is the problem, yes Yaya's inability to hack the pace is costing us but the alternatives are worse.

Play Kompany or Zaba in defensive midfield? Where do you play Fernando then?

See this is the problem, yes Yaya's inability to hack the pace is costing us but the alternatives are worse.
I agree they are not ideal. Not convinced by Delph. He hasn't had enough games yet for us to know whether he can play at the highest level

I'd rather play one of Delph, Zabaleta or Kompany and Fernando than Toure. I'd leave Toure to do damage off the bench. I know hese 3 don;t have Yaya's ability on the ball but we do have Silva, Nasri and De Bruyne to come back in. If they had a solid platform behind them, we'd still be able to support Aguero

If you play with Toure it exposes us defensively. We've seen it so many times this season. The question is do we have alternatives in the squad. I think so.

I agree they are not ideal. Not convinced by Delph. He hasn't had enough games yet for us to know whether he can play at the highest level

I'd rather play one of Delph, Zabaleta or Kompany and Fernando than Toure. I'd leave Toure to do damage off the bench. I know hese 3 don;t have Yaya's ability on the ball but we do have Silva, Nasri and De Bruyne to come back in. If they had a solid platform behind them, we'd still be able to support Aguero

If you play with Toure it exposes us defensively. We've seen it so many times this season. The question is do we have alternatives in the squad. I think so.

At the moment we don't.

You answered that one perfectly for me, couldn't sum it up better myself.

At the moment we don't.
Not to the level that Yaya was at 2 years ago.

But at the moment Id rather have a defensively sound midfield plus Silva, Aguero etc than a midfield that's operating a man down when we lose the ball

Not to the level that Yaya was at 2 years ago.

But at the moment Id rather have a defensively sound midfield plus Silva, Aguero etc than a midfield that's operating a man down when we lose the ball

I'd love a defensively sound midfield too Marvin but when Yaya has been left out this season we haven't been defensively sound, if I could see evidence where we are more defensively sound without him I'd agree with you all the way but...

all it serves to do is take away a string from our bow in attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.