Your First Favorite City Player And Why

Old: Niall Quinn legend

New and will be my all time Favourite soon i think David Silva the boy is just class

Paul Simpson

Just had an ability to destroy teams (the 10-1 Huddersfield game is a classic example!)... great on the ball and an excellent left peg... still don't think we've had a better left winger since him!

My first true city hero!

Colin_Bell said:
For me it was Paul Power because he played for City like we The fan would have given the chance.

Great servant to the club thats easy to forget because of the level we are at now

first was johnny crossan, hard as nails and scored goals.

second was Alan Oakes, still my favorite player of all time.

David White, he was either scoring or creating everything in his era.
Would be worth 10's of millions today.

The whole ground buzzed when he got the ball, he was always exciting

de niro said:
Colin_Bell said:
For me it was Paul Power because he played for City like we The fan would have given the chance.

Great servant to the club thats easy to forget because of the level we are at now

first was johnny crossan, hard as nails and scored goals.

second was Alan Oakes, still my favorite player of all time.

On 8th April 1958 a Manchester City team on the decline signed a young unknown amateur from Mid-Cheshire Boys, in September 1959 the young amateur signed Professional terms. This young player was Alan Oakes who later went on to serve City for an amazing 17-year's on professional terms. Competing in 669 games makes him top the tables for the player with most appearances in Manchester City's colours in our one hundred plus year history.

Oakes made his senior debut in a 1-1 draw with Chelsea on 14th November 1959. He had made himself a regular feature of the team when City, despite their struggling form, City still had a famous player or two who helped the young Alan Oakes develop. He got on well with Bert Trautmann, whose boots he was responsible for, "he liked them Good and Clean, I got on well with Bert, He was always very helpful."

The young Oakes continued to learn and was, more often than not, the first player to be picked by managers Les McDowell and then George Poyser. In a struggling Manchester City Team, He was usually the Heart and only highlight of the side, proving to be the most valuable player on City's books.

When Mercer and Allison took charge in the summer of 1965, he was the first of several homegrown players to blossom, and how much he deserved what was to follow…

Both Allison and Mercer identified Oakes as the best talent currently on the books, and incorporated him as the heart of their team selection throughout there tenure as a management team.

Oakes Picked up six winning trophy's, being in the teams that picked up the European Cup Winners Cup, the League Championship, F.A. Cup, 2 League Cups, and the second Division Championship, making him the player winning the most medals whilst at City.

His final City appearance came at Old Trafford on 4th May 1976, Oakes came on as a substitute for Mike Doyle in a 2-0 defeat.
In the 17 years Oakes Served Manchester City, Many players came and went but he was always the 'North Star', a Constant. Here are some Players that passed through his time whilst at City…. Bert Trautmann, Ken Barnes, Bobby Johnstone, Gary Owen, Glyn Pardoe, Francis Lee, Colin Bell, Mike Summerbee, Peter Barnes, Dennis Tuart. And he served under managers Les McDowell, George Poyser, Joe Mercer and Malcolm Allison, and Tony Book.

After so many excellent years and service at Manchester City, Alan Oakes became Player-Manager at Chester. Despite his dedication and commitment to City's cause spaning almost 2 decades, Chester still had to pay a £15000 fee for his services! He went on to play 211 league games for Chester. Alan Oakes then went on to a brief coaching role at Port Vale and due to player shortage, even turned out in a game for them in 1983 as a fresh 41 year old, he officially retired from playing the season after!

Alan Oakes should always be spoken of as a true Gentleman on and off the pitch who dealt with things with the minimum of fuss, a player who will probably stay at the top in City's History for playing more games for City than any other player, A true Manchester City Legend, the heartbeat of the City side for over a decade, who's service to the club should be remembered forever.

dw7 said:
david white because he was fast

these were my exact words!

i remember my dad buying me my city shirt at maine road and asked for printing, they said we dont do it here but you can go old trafford and they will do it for you....and you can imagine my dads reaction! haha

the reason for white was my 1st game i remember was luton @ home. 4-0

white got a couple, maybe a hatrick. keep missed kicked it and white rolled it from near the kippax!! that was it! hero status! haha

Andy Morrison

without him we would still be languishing in the lower leagues

he was the most important signing ever imo

I first started watching City in the promotion season in 1989. I was 6/7.

My first favourite City player was David White because as a nipper i thought his pace running down the wing was really exciting.

My favourite ever City player is Uwe Rosler, and probably will never be replaced even if we signed Messi and won ten Champions Lg titles in a row!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.