Your First Favorite City Player And Why

NeilYoungsMilkFloat said:
Neil Young.

1968 /69 season. A FA Cup replay against Newcastle, evening kick off. After queueing up for ages outside the Kippax getting squashed by the crushing crowd and police horses and hearing the crowd inside the ground roar because the game has just started - desparately trying to get into the ground, running up the steps to the back of the Kippax and emerging to see a packed floodlit Maine Road - pure magic for a 10 year old kid - and there is Neil Young with the ball at his feet, racing through the penalty area at the score-board end, striding through the Newcastle defence and rounding the keeper to slot the ball into an empty net from an acute angle. He runs around the back of the goal his arm raised in salute. A magical moment. We won 2-1. And eventually went onto Wembley...yet another memorable Neil Young goal.

Yes, Bell, Lee and Summerbee were giants of the game and King Colin is a legend and a hero of mine but Neil Young always has a special place in my memories. My user name is not a piss take but more of a comment about how I feel he was treated by the club. Like all fans I am desperately sorry to hear of Neil's current plight. My heart goes out to him.
very well put

my first real idolisation of nelly came after my first Maine Road derby
i had seen him score winning goals regularly before that but they had been european champions and nelly tore them apart and scored two out of our four that day

i remember crying as a 11 year old when he was left out of the league cup final team in 70 for an extra centre half to combat jeff astle
great move as astle scored the opener within 5 minutes, typical city lol
although in those days typical city was to play with their hearts on their sleeves and push the opposition all the way often making dramatic come-backs

a month and a half later i saw nelly scoring a goal in the cup winners cup final and getting a penalty

David White. I started watching City in '92 and i just loved how much pace he had. I'll never forget the goal he scored against Sheffield United where the ball got chipped over the top about 15yards into their half, he nodded it down in front of him and leathered it in from the corner of the 18yard box.

To name a few others, Keith Curle, Peter Beagrie, Uwe (for obvious reasons) and Georgie Kinkladze who still in my opinion could of been recognised as probably the best player in the world if he wasn't playing for us.

Think my first was either Shaun Goater or Paul Dickov. I was 6 went I went to my first game in 1998 (a 7-1 League Cup win over Notts County) and they both scored twice. My ultimate favourite City player is SWP though, but I've got many years and hundreds of players to watch yet...

Favourite ever is Uwe Rosler. I used to idolise him as a kid, and I met him a few times. I remember going to Platt lane with a German national team shirt with 28 Rosler on the back. He loved it, and he called over Immel and Fronzeck and they all signed it.

No 1 Colin Bell
No 2 Colin Bell
No 3 Colin bell
No 4 Colin Bell
No 5 Colln Bell
No 6 Colln Bell
No 7 Colln Bell
No 8 Colln Bell
No 9 AColin Bell
No 10 Colin Bell
No 11 Colin Bell
No12 Dennis Tueart

Weaver for me, when I was young I played as goalkeeper and thought he was incredible. Even got 'Mini-Weaver' put on the back of one of my Goalkeeper jerseys, was my pride and joy as a kid.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.