Your standout City memory...

For actually being at the match it has to be the Denis Law backheeler in Stretford in 74, thought the semi last year at Wembley ran it close.

Come Sunday I expect I'll have a new No 1 memory.

Its weird I thought about this before, Ive been to many games (regular at maine road and season ticket holder at coms for 5 years) and been a city fan all my life (age 32) so there is lots of bad and good memory's.

The one memory that surfaces every time I talk about city is the Balloons being released over the kippax when Franny lee took over at maine road. Now this wasn't the first game I'd been to and its obviously not a spectacular goal or moment or player in a match, but It always lingers in the front of my mind when I think of city.

The balloons were actually released from the centre circle but I was in the north stand so as they went up they raised above the kippax(just to clarify):-)

As a proper nipper-beating Blackpool in the League (late 60's). With a couple more years on the clock, coming back from behind in a midweek league cup match v Wolves.A few years later it's the Colin Bell comeback match v Newcastle, A few years again and it's the Charlton match in 1985. Missed the 1989 Derby... Stoke away and Bury at home were the real downers- but the best football moment (England included) Was Paul Dickovs equaliser v Gillingham-the most emotionally draining moment of my football watching life!......

TILL NOW!!

The City fan who leant into an open pub window somewhere outside Oxford and ate the womans dinner whilst she was at the loo. Her face when she came back to an empty plate.

Moments like these cannot be bought.

Throwing stones at the manager's window with about 200 others around 1964 - My mate's brother said we were going a different way home from the match... yje long way, via the main entrance. We were searching for big stones to throw and the coppers just left us to it. I don't think anyone really knew which window to throw at.

City v Moscow Dynamo friendly 65/66 (?) - Johnny Crossan was GOD that night.

Alan Ogley saving a late penalty against Southampton last match 65/66, when we'd been crowned Div 2 Champions. 0-0 draw but great celebrations.

Sitting crying with my mates in the centre circle at St James' Park when we won the League

Getting hit by pennies (real ones, 12 to the shilling) at Blackpool (1970) when someone decided it would be a good idea to collect for Ibrox by walking around the pitch with a big sheet... St John's were busy that day.

Tommy Booth - Villa Park 1969 (Cried on terrace)

Playing football in the snow with Peter Purves (Blue Peter) at the services on the way to Wembley 1970 LC Final

Every victory against the rags

Colin Bell comeback... (Cried)

Pleat on the pitch... (Cried)

Wolves LC Final 1974 - How did we lose? Rodney Marsh walking off without getting his medal - still think that was cool.

The first time we saw Steve Daley pass a ball at Maine Road - Jaw hit floor, turned round to see thousands of other Blues mouthing "what the f*ck... was that?"

Steve MacKenzie v Spuds Wembley 1981

Wembley 1999 - Watched in a bar in Menorca with dozens of Blues... Shirts. scarves the lot - Bedlam; still got the bruises!

Lots since, but nothing sticks in my mind more than;
the 4-1 against Spurs in the snow,
sitting on the entrance steps at Maine Road sharing sweets and talking to Joe Mercer about David Connor's game in the semi final 1969,
getting a lift from Mike Summerbee in his Volvo sports when walking from the ground to Wilmslow Road in the pouring rain one afternoon after getting autographs.

Watching Dennis Tueart on a TV debate about City after we had fallen into the 3rd tier of English football, and being so depressed about how the great club I had supported for years had sunk so low.

I was a child of the 60's, City were winning everything in sight, and being a City fan made sense.

That day, when we beat Stoke but sank into the depths, will live with me forever.

I'm pinching myself at the moment, but all we have to do is win on Sunday, and no disrespect to QPR. but in all the years I have been watching City, I never, ever thought I would be watching a team of champions. Well, not since 1972 anyway.

theres only one carlito said:
Its weird I thought about this before, Ive been to many games (regular at maine road and season ticket holder at coms for 5 years) and been a city fan all my life (age 32) so there is lots of bad and good memory's.

The one memory that surfaces every time I talk about city is the Balloons being released over the kippax when Franny lee took over at maine road. Now this wasn't the first game I'd been to and its obviously not a spectacular goal or moment or player in a match, but It always lingers in the front of my mind when I think of city.

The balloons were actually released from the centre circle but I was in the north stand so as they went up they raised above the kippax(just to clarify):-)

oh yeah

happy days lol

Away at Grimsby in the 80's, I was dying for a shit and told one of the lads that I was going to knock on someone's door and ask to use their bog.
"There's no chance anyone will let you take a shit in their house"
So I knocked on a door, some bloke in jeans and a vest answered, I asked, and he let me take a shite.
Didn't even bother making sure I wasn't nicking anything, just went back to watching the horse racing.
Certainly saved me from shitting my kecks on the long walk to the ground from where the coaches were parked.

1969/70 season, hitch-hiking to Bilbao and then Vienna and staying in the same hotel as the Players.
Getting pissed wet through in a stadium that didn`t have any fooking roof on it for the Final.
Other brilliant memories like sleeping in the Vienna Stadium for two nights,on the massive pole vault mattresses.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.