You're the ref ? (hypothetical)

Having reffed for many years, one thing that has always surpised me is that teams dont realise they cannot be offside from a goal kick

Therefore I suggest this scenario.

Joe takes goal kick. Mario stands in front of keeper,wearing top hat and waving magic wand, as the ball approaches and all the defenders are appealling for off side, he shouts shazam, scores and gives white rabbit to goalkeeper.

peterctid said:
Having reffed for many years, one thing that has always surpised me is that teams dont realise they cannot be offside from a goal kick

Joe takes goal kick. Mario stands in front of keeper,wearing top hat and waving magic wand, as the ball approaches and all the defenders are appealling for off side, he shouts shazam, scores and gives white rabbit to goalkeeper.

Players are thick. Saw Rio appealing for offside against Chelsea the other day when one of his own players had passed the ball to an 'offside' Chelsea player.

ifiwasarichfan said:
Older posters will remember "Shoot" magazine - and they used to have a "You are the Ref" article every week. Bollocksed if I know the answer to this one, at a guess I would say re - take the Goal kick; absolutely no point in asking the current Refs - Webb, Foy,Walton,Clattenburg etc maybe Damocles has the correct answer!

Once in a Home International ( remember them?) - Scotland were playing Wales and the Scottish keeper took a quick goal kick to our very own Willie Donachie. Willie, under pressure from an opposition player stepped well into the area and knocked it back to the Keeper - who missed it and the Goal which should have been disallowed as the Ball had not gone out of the penalty area was given.

I remember the game. I'm sure Donachie was way outside the area.

As for the OP it is a retake. The ball never was in play.
Seems Utd aren't the only team whose fans know fuck all about the laws of the game.

quiet_riot said:
peterctid said:

Players are thick. Saw Rio appealing for offside against Chelsea the other day when one of his own players had passed the ball to an 'offside' Chelsea player.

Correction : Wio is thick.

denislawsbackheel said:
ifiwasarichfan said:
Older posters will remember "Shoot" magazine - and they used to have a "You are the Ref" article every week. Bollocksed if I know the answer to this one, at a guess I would say re - take the Goal kick; absolutely no point in asking the current Refs - Webb, Foy,Walton,Clattenburg etc maybe Damocles has the correct answer!

Once in a Home International ( remember them?) - Scotland were playing Wales and the Scottish keeper took a quick goal kick to our very own Willie Donachie. Willie, under pressure from an opposition player stepped well into the area and knocked it back to the Keeper - who missed it and the Goal which should have been disallowed as the Ball had not gone out of the penalty area was given.

I remember the game. I'm sure Donachie was way outside the area.

As for the OP it is a retake. The ball never was in play.
Seems Utd aren't the only team whose fans know fuck all about the laws of the game.

That depends on how you interpret this:
• The ball is in play when it is kicked directly out of the penalty area

The statement does not specify where the ball goes, only that it has to leave the penalty area. In crossing the goal line the ball satisfies this requirement.

My initial thought was as you state, that the ball was never in play and therefore the last time it was, was when it originally crossed the goal line for the goal kick. This would require a retake. But I'm inclined to think otherwise now.

Whatever we eventually decide, it's certain that the FA will reverse the decision and ban us all for 4 games for excessive frivolity ;-)

manchester blue said:
I recall reading one of the Shoot ones where a goalkeeper kicks out the ball from a goal kick, the wind catches hold of it and blows it into the goal. A corner was given as the correct answer.

Quick one, if a game is abandoned before the cut off for the score standing (70mins?) if a player is sent off does the suspension get written off with the score or does a subsequent ban stand? Was thinking this during last weekend’s games.
mb - This is a strange one. All sendings off will count in an abandoned game but yellow cards are rescinded?

Here's another then,

The goalkeeper takes a deadball, the kick is short and doesnt go out of the box but hits opponent and goes in.

Is it a goal?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.