Boro Post Match thread

I don't think that Pep has worked out that to win the PL you have to have a different strategy to playing in the Champions League. He wants to play the same way in every game, but in a season of 60 plus games that is just not realistic.

It was a bad performance today in what has been a very mixed season, they can play better than that we've seen what it looks like when the players are doing it right so for that reason it's not like Pep isn't doing his job... he is making the best of what he has whilst not sacrificing his core principles of football(he said it before he came he will never do that... if we weren't prepared to be patient then we shouldn't have gone for him in the first place we knew what we were getting he told us from day one).

There's two camps here, those that want to blame it all on the manager for everything and those of us with memories good enough to remember the same bizarre performances being put in under Mancini and Pellegrini don't tell me the shockers weren't there under them they were(memories of head in my hands over stuff Lescott did) and teams around us have got better since then, so you can nitpick about scorelines all you like it would have been the same(they'd have scored more with better players).

Defensively we are more susceptible to conceding but that's due to our defenders(yes it is!... yes it does matter that they are old, no he shouldn't be expecting to work miracles with players not up to it) more than it is tactics. Our buildup play is better than under Mancini and Pellegrini it's the final pass(cross after cross failed to reach a City shirt today, nobody was getting it right) and the finishing that has gone to pot this season or as Pep put it in our box and in the opponents box we are falling short that's where talent comes in not tactics(make a tackle, win the bloody ball... or make some space and hit the target at the other end).

Last edited:
I don't know if I am in a minority but, this worshipping of Conte is a bit much, he inherited a team that were champions, but, down tooled for Maureen, I think it was a bit more difficult for Pep the mess pelligrini left.

I don't know if I am in a minority but, this worshipping of Conte is a bit much, he inherited a team that were champions, but, down tooled for Maureen, I think it was a bit more difficult for Pep the mess pelligrini left.
They just need to ask themselves would you rather have their defence or ours... oh and Kanté in midfield.

The team are playing his way to his instructions.
Pep continues to underestimate how good opposition defences are in the Premier League and overestimate the ability of our players.
I hope Pep learns pragmatism soon, because if he doesn't the club is in trouble - as the clubs financial model and incoming transfers depend on us qualifying for the Champions League.
Great post.if the players he has got cant play to his system and its paramount to finish top four why not change things around.midflesborough ffs ! Chelsea just beat Everton away 3-0 and we can't beat Middlesbrough.if I hear that "they are a good team fighting felegation " again, we are fighting for top four ffs, how much incentive do this lot need.everyone talks about full backs and centre half ( which is dead right) but add a midfield general because unless dave plays til he is 50 we can't win without him.

The only system that could possibly get the most out of this side is playing deep and counter attacking. That would negate the uselessness of our full backs and lack of creativity in CM.

However, the onus is on us to attack teams as the large majority of sides would happily settle for a point when they play us. We need to take the game to the opposition.

Whilst this season has been poor overall, Pep will know which players he can take forward and who needs to go.

There's no onus on us to do anything. We choose how to play. Pep does. I completely agree that this side is built to play deep and counter. That's how Leicester won the league. But that's the tension. Pep doesn't play like that. He's never going to play like that. So he better have the players to play his way. Thing is, even if that's the hope/belief, we don't know if (1) he'll get close to everyone he wants and (2) even if he has them, if his way works in the Prem. This year, we've learned nothing we didn't already know before the year started. It's been a tread water year for us as fans. I hope it hasn't been for the players who are going to be here next year, and that they've learned and grown more comfortable with the system. But I'm hard-pressed to think of one player who has really, really improved this season, save Sterling. Which also begs the question . . . why isn't youth playing more if this was really a transitional year all along?

My last post of today, this thing about la prima liga being so much inferior to our league, will be shown up for what it is when Celta Vigo despatch the unbeaten rags onThursday ;-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.