Gabriel Jesus 2018-19 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
When he first came he took the league by storm, so people expect to much from him. He is a good striker, one of the best young players in the world. Probably 2-3 more years untill he can be the main striker in our team.
Totally agree with this and would add that many of our fans cannot accommodate patience or not accepting a poor team performance now and again. They have to find blame.

Totally agree with this and would add that many of our fans cannot accommodate patience or not accepting a poor team performance now and again. They have to find blame.
We need to settle with constant top 4 and semi finals of CL. Title and CL final every 2-3 years would be just amazing.

He's a phenomenally gifted striker who gives everything on the pitch plus his goal scoring record is incredible for someone so young

Not working out at the moment, I think we were all expecting him to be a starter now but hasn't been a hit so far.

I think a couple of goals & a run in the side would help but sadly can't see where the goals are going to come from and unless Kun gets injured with Pep's formations he's unlikely to get a run of starts either.

Needs to keep his head up and plug away, there's a very good/great player in there but we've not seen it yet apart from the odd moment.

How he ranks against other #9s when they were his age (going off Gabriel's 2017-18 season when he turned 21; ranked top to bottom by goals per game):

Harry Kane, second full season at Spurs (after a number of loans), 31 goals in 51 games (0.61 goals per game)
Karim Benzema, fourth season at Lyon, 31 goals in 52 games (0.6 goals per game)
Roberto Firmino, fourth season at Hoffenheim, 22 goals in 37 games (0.59 goals per game)
Mauro Icardi, second season at Inter, 27 goals in 48 games (0.56 goals per game)
Gonzalo Higuain, third season at Madrid, 24 goals in 44 games (0.55 goals per game)
Luis Suarez, just signed for Ajax, 22 goals in 44 games (0.5 goals per game)
Kun Agüero, third season at Atléti, 21 goals in 47 games (0.44 goals per game)
Gabriel Jesus, second full season at City, 17 goals in 42 games (0.41 goals per game)
Robert Lewandowski, first season at Poznań, 20 goals in 48 games (0.41 goals per game)
Romelu Lukaku, first seasno at Everton, 20 goals in 48 games (0.41 goals per game)
Edinson Cavani, first full season at Palermo, 5 goals in 37 games (0.14 goals per game)

However...

How many of them were playing for a team challenging for titles in a top league against packed defences every week? Gabriel has less space and more pressure than many of those others players will have had at the same age. Other than Higuain? Nobody else.

And i doubt many of them had the quality of movement that Gabriel has now. Suarez maybe?

And i'd bet every one of those players was getting regular starts, whereas Gabriel comes on as a sub in a lot of games, then he'll start one and not start for three games...

Last edited by a moderator:
He's terrified of being clattered. His back to goal play was fantastic up until that injury at Palace. He really needs to bag a brace or hat trick in a game and I think we'll see him fly again

How he ranks against other #9s when they were his age (going off Gabriel's 2017-18 season when he turned 21; ranked top to bottom by goals per game):

Harry Kane, second full season at Spurs (after a number of loans), 31 goals in 51 games (0.61 goals per game)
Karim Benzema, fourth season at Lyon, 31 goals in 52 games (0.6 goals per game)
Roberto Firmino, fourth season at Hoffenheim, 22 goals in 37 games (0.59 goals per game)
Mauro Icardi, second season at Inter, 27 goals in 48 games (0.56 goals per game)
Gonzalo Higuain, third season at Madrid, 24 goals in 44 games (0.55 goals per game)
Luis Suarez, just signed for Ajax, 22 goals in 44 games (0.5 goals per game)
Kun Agüero, third season at Atléti, 21 goals in 47 games (0.44 goals per game)
Gabriel Jesus, second full season at City, 17 goals in 42 games (0.41 goals per game)
Robert Lewandowski, first season at Poznań, 20 goals in 48 games (0.41 goals per game)
Romelu Lukaku, first seasno at Everton, 20 goals in 48 games (0.41 goals per game)
Edinson Cavani, first full season at Palermo, 5 goals in 37 games (0.14 goals per game)

However...

How many of them were playing for a team challenging for titles in a top league against packed defences every week? Gabriel has less space and more pressure than many of those others players will have had at the same age. Other than Higuain? Nobody else.

And i doubt many of them had the quality of movement that Gabriel has now. Suarez maybe?

And i'd bet every one of those players was getting regular starts, whereas Gabriel comes on as a sub in a lot of games, then he'll start one and not start for three games...

Good analysis i was also checking his stats in the EPL and then i decide to compare him with other U-23 Strikers who play in the top 5 leagues and Gabriel has the best goal ratio per 90 minutes in the top 5 leagues among the U-23

0.72 GABRIEL JESUS
0.70 KYLIAN MBÁPPE
0.64 PATRICK CUTRONE
0.51 MÁXI GÓMEZ
0.44 PATRIK SCHICK
0.41 TIMO WERNER
0.41 GIOVANI SIMEONE
0.39 SANTI MINA
0.37 BREEL EMBOLO
0.36 ANTHONY MARTIAL

Aguero is not struggling at all. He has perfectly adapted to Peps tactics, and is one of the best strikers in the world
Aguero is definitely one of the best strikers in the world, to the point I can not think of a player we could replace him with except maybe Mbappe? but he is struggling age work rate and playing in a deeper role would effect anybody

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.