Running thread

Looking forward to the Manchester 1/2 half marathon next week. Training is going well and just done a 10 mile run at an average 8 Min 15 per mile with 2 big inclines along the route I take.
With that time I think I would break the 1 Hour 50mins barrier. What is considered a decent time for the half marathon?
With it being my 1st race. Whats the best time to get there for and has anyone got any helpful advice? Also what routine and mileage would you do leading up to the race? I'm going to attempt the half marathon distance tomorrow. (Or is it best to not burn yourself out before the race and keep to shorter runs?)

Last edited:
2 sadly died at the Cardiff half marathon. Don't run too fast blues Nice and steady.

Sad news that 2 lads have died after the Cardiff half marathon today, both finished then collapsed, watching it this morning with admiration for all of them then out to watch the match, just got back and even though I probably won't know either I'm gutted for there families, sorry but a missed pen doesn't seem so important.

Tragic mate, suppose the only consolation for the families is they we're doing something they obviously enjoyed. Always wonder in cases like this is it down to lack of training or just an underlying issue they didn't know about.

Looking forward to the Manchester 1/2 half marathon next week. Training is going well and just done a 10 mile run at an average 8 Min 15 per mile with 2 big inclines along the route I take.
With that time I think I would break the 1 Hour 50mins barrier. What is considered a decent time for the half marathon?
With it being my 1st race. Whats the best time to get there for and has anyone got any helpful advice? Also what routine and mileage would you do leading up to the race? I'm going to attempt the half marathon distance tomorrow. (Or is it best to not burn yourself out before the race and keep to shorter runs?)

Should be taking it easy this week mate, no way would i consider running a half marathon in the week before the race, 10k max, i'm personally doing nothing this week, just resting ready for Sunday.

Should be taking it easy this week mate, no way would i consider running a half marathon in the week before the race, 10k max, i'm personally doing nothing this week, just resting ready for Sunday.

Me too. - Resting that is

Tragic mate, suppose the only consolation for the families is they we're doing something they obviously enjoyed. Always wonder in cases like this is it down to lack of training or just an underlying issue they didn't know about.

It's usually down to heart issues. I was born with a heart defect and ran the London Marathon three times before it was diagnosed. Could have turned out very badly...

Cheers for the advice. I did do a 5 mile run this morning but I’ll take it easy for the rest of the week.

I'd get there as early as you can as stressing out if you're running late is a nightmare. If you're taking someone with you then have something warm you can quickly take off and hand to them to make waiting for the start a little comfier. If you're going alone buy something you don't mind throwing away. Have a couple of wees before you start. Take a water bottle with you and avoid the first water station. It's normally chaos and you can easily get tripped. If it's like the full then the water stations will be sign posted. Soon as you see them get to the side of the road where they are handing them out to make sure you don't miss it. Have fun

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.