Aguero's disallowed goal

I think football would be better off with the type of offside used in ice hockey. Much easier to judge when players and ball are moving in opposing directions at high speed. You could even set up a static camera to refer to. We'd have a fixed point of reference and the two objects of interest in the same proximity to it. Linesman's job becomes more doable. In football we've got a constantly moving point of reference and three objects of interest that are also moving and could be 40 or 50 yards apart. Imagine a hoof out of defence with an attacker who's breaking forward on the right touchline around the halfway line and a defender who's pushing up as fast as he can on the left touchline. It would also be compatible with how the game is played at the top level. Using a defensive line and holding it and that.

Quest's shown the highlights. Said Aguero was "half a yard offside" and replay shown might have been half a bloody millimetre. Following that they said Chelsea chance was never offside but didn't bother to show it the same way as Aguero's. Blatant bias.

£30 @ 3-1 of my hard earned money says that sergio scored the first goal yesterday.
Unfortunately WILLIAM HILL doesn't.
KUN as one me a few quid over the years so it softens the blow a little bit.
C.T.I.D

VAR changes the dynamics of offside, by bringing decisions to a ludicrously small scale. If Sergio was offside yesterday, it was by an inch. Thus the idea of doubt has been eliminated. So benefit of the doubt can no longer accrue to the attacker. Not only that but VAR will seek to find a difference when, for all practical purposes, players are level. I predict we will soon see VAR using over size pictures to find that fraction.
So, the offside rule needs to be changed when VAR becomes the norm. The simplest solution is to say that legs don't count in the decision, only the torso. That restores the benefit of the doubt to the attacker. In addition, you could introduce a rule that says if the torsos overlap, the players are level.
Making such fine judgements is ludicrous when the exact moment the ball moves from the passer is just guesswork.

surely the camera and tracking positions of these devices can pinpoint offside... however, it'd be a FIFA rule if they used ths kind of technology. OPTA can distinguish shirt colours, heat maps etc... so it can't be far off

surely the camera and tracking positions of these devices can pinpoint offside... however, it'd be a FIFA rule if they used ths kind of technology. OPTA can distinguish shirt colours, heat maps etc... so it can't be far off

I am certain they can. They can measure how far a ball has yet to travel before it crosses the line to millimetres. I am a conspiracy theorist and my theory is that despite the presence of such technology the people who understand this shit are not qualified refs. They are the technocrats and giving them the task might be better than what we appear to have at the moment. For offside it's the simple question "Using these gadgets, Charlie, can you tell me if Sergio Aguero was nearer the goal line than the ball when the ball was last played?" "Yep", comes the reply. "Not nearer!" And some City fan gets his 3/1 on Sergio scoring first! But the conspiracy is that the FArce are reluctant to follow this path with experts in the stuff. They have HMP Walton, The Time Lord Atkinson, and a whole raft of referees whose performances on the pitch have been questionable and continues to be questionable when they are sitting in front of a screen. The governing bodies and leagues might prefer a 'certain outcome'!

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.