Var debate 2019/20

Because even at 50 FPS a player accelerating can move 15cm in a frame (at Olympic pace) so as the exposure has a finite time per frame, of course a fast moving player will be blurred. But that isn’t an issue as they still click on the pixel furthest forward.

Offside by a pixel.

Im convinced lol

Offside by a pixel.

Im convinced lol
Not sure I’m overly bothered by how convinced you are.

It’s imperfect but it’s 1000x more accurate than last season.

Wherever a line is drawn, literally or metaphorically, there will always be a line and always be situations where someone is on or off by 2cm, even if one allows a margin of error.

It will remain thus until the law itself is changed.

That’s a perfectly legitimate point and one Lineker raises as well. My understanding is it when the foot touches the ball hence the Sterling goal being onside.
But technically speaking it must be the point it leaves the foot as that is the pass, Christ knows how many stills ahead

2. It isn't a person deciding where the lines are drawn, it's a computer based on millions of data points from live games all last season.
That was what Walton said yesterday, its not a person viewing, its technology based, the managers and captains had it demonstrated last week, and were "very happy" with what they were shown.

If true, and I've no reason to doubt him, then someone needs to show this "technology" to the public, and explain how accurate it is, because most people are ignoring it, and just talking about lines on a screen. FIFA and UEFA might operate in the dark ages, but the "best league in the world" seems to have developed something new in the year we didn't use it.

Not sure I’m overly bothered by how convinced you are.

Until such a time the exact system used is revealed to all and the way it is calibrated and its accuracy, you like the rest of us here are guessing and the question will remain no matter how much you think you know and that is, "how accurate is it"?

The point is they were 'moaning' after we had won 5-0. That shows how stupid the reviews were. Football is all about emotion, if they remove that from a live game then sitting on your sofa with a brew and a chocolate biscuit seems a far better option than spending £150 and 12 hours of your weekend to watch the same game.

It won't probably sit well with lot of people, but regular match goers are overestimating their worth in the big scheme of things. Yes, football is not football (or sport generally) without live spectators, but for sport, the live spectators are small part of income and they would always be around as much as speople are threatening to quit, so the powers are going to make it better for general public and yes, that's mostly tv watchers as that's where the money lies. We're far, far away from times when fans in the stands were most important thing to football clubs. They are just a small, additional income now.

Americanization of sport is non-avoidable, we can already see it in stats department. Only a few years ago, stats were almost nothing in football in Europe and right now there is pretty much same obsession with stats in football as there is in U.S. sports for decades.

There was situation in 6th game of NBA final this year, less than minute before end, score equal or 2-3 points for someone, had the ball touched the table or not, extremely important point, if Toronto wins that game they are champions.. it was almost impossible to be sure watching slow motions, refs were watching their VAR for 5 minutes before decision. Nobody gave a fuck about the decision after it, just moved on as they are used on that. Fans continued to be loud and mental and they will be next year too.

Absolutely same thing will happen with football. In 5 years, everybody will get used with VAR and move on. I am fairly sure the big majority of fans going mental about var, tradition, emotion and stuff like that, are older fans and it's pretty normal and usual that they moan most when new technologies are around. People have natural tendencies to think it was better before, whatever it is. Specially if that aligns with them being better and younger before. I know people here in Bosnia moaning about good times in ex Yugoslavia, despite every member of family driving a car now and back then we had 2 cars in whole neigborhood. But their Willy was jumping more back then and they feel the bread and water was better then than meat today.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.