Leicester (H) Post-Match Thread

Sorry, but I'm having difficulty seeing that Ben Mendy was all that great yesterday. He was, to my eyes, o.k. No more, no less. He was o.k. Certainly an improvement on what he's been. I know about the injuries, and the difficulty of coming back from them. All I feel, though, is that if he can't get back to those superb overlapping runs and low fizzing crosses in — perhaps he can, I'm not calling it either way — then I don't really see that he's a better option than Zin, and a year or two up the road, when he's less raw, even Angeliño might be a better option. One thing that does my nut in is that he'll be hugging the touchline, he'll get the ball passed out to him, and instead of going for it, he'll stop the ball, hold it for a couple of seconds, and then pass it straight back, diagonally and backwards to whoever's inside, completely breaking the momentum of our forward movement as a team. Perhaps he's been told to do this by Pep, for all I know, because he can no longer get back if he loses the ball. Or in any case, not at present. I still expect great things of Ben, but I think the jury's out.

He can do the overlapping runs: he did a brilliant one in the second half where Raz unfortunately put a little too much on the pass to him and allowed the defender time to block the cross; otherwise, Be would have fizzed a cross in. He put loads of good crosses in a couple or three games back. His form is currently on a steep upward curve so let's just see where it ends up.

I thought Colin Bell was more consistently at a very high standard over a good number of years. One thing that Colin had the advantage of was being being able to score headed goals. Having said that KDB is incredible. Is there any need to put them in order?

There's plenty of room on the top podium for them to stand shoulder to shoulder for me..!

On the Peter Doherty point. I spoke to an elderly gentleman in a pub in Didsbury a couple of years back who'd seen Doherty play a few times (and he wasn't a blue or a rag). He couldn't speak highly enough about him reckoned he was one of the best 2 or 3 players he'd ever seen.
There will always be the talk of generation(s) ago players being/not being as good as modern day players. Today's football is so different, even the football is different to when my Dad played football when he used to play with a 'casey'. It would be interesting to task today's footballers to try taking free kicks with one and see if they can do those banana shots? It would be interesting. Today's game is played at a faster pace, on pitches that are like carpets, not like bogs. So let's not get tied down with Bell not as good as De Bruyne or Silva and so forth. The truth is, in each era, each are world class.

one of our greatest ever players but he is not captain material going forward in the coming seasons . Maybe kdb or Laporte or even someone who has not joined but we need a true leader on that pitch and ferdy is not that leader I’m afraid .
He is a warrior so by definstion a leader

Some old players would fit in today's game like a glove, if aided by today's training methods, tactical know-how, proper diet and so on. If anyone saw Alfredo di Stefano they would see a man with an energy that beggared belief, vision, ball control, shooting power, strutting self-confidence...and that's just for starters.

People talk of Pele and Maradona, but this fellow's all-round game was a wonder to behold. He had the lot.

That said, a lot of the old full-backs were far less mobile and would be given the runaround by a speedy winger, let alone overlap.

Dear old Joe Mercer said Doherty was the best player he ever saw.

There will always be the talk of generation(s) ago players being/not being as good as modern day players. Today's football is so different, even the football is different to when my Dad played football when he used to play with a 'casey'. It would be interesting to task today's footballers to try taking free kicks with one and see if they can do those banana shots? It would be interesting. Today's game is played at a faster pace, on pitches that are like carpets, not like bogs. So let's not get tied down with Bell not as good as De Bruyne or Silva and so forth. The truth is, in each era, each are world class.
This was in 1966 by Garrincha, with a "casey". It's nothing new.

I thought Colin Bell was more consistently at a very high standard over a good number of years. One thing that Colin had the advantage of was being being able to score headed goals. Having said that KDB is incredible. Is there any need to put them in order?
Probably not
I think KDB is playing against a much higher standard of opponent than The King did week in and out and his technical ability is probably superior whilst maybe lacking some of Bell’s physicality (although Pep has made him much more of a warrior over the last few yrs!)
For me KDB has an elegance rarely seen and an exceptional range of passing.
Both arguably the finest midfielder of their day in this league.

This was in 1966 by Garrincha, with a "casey". It's nothing new.

Great goal that, but that looked like a white ball. I remember seeing the casey my Dad had and it was brown and had a big lace up one side.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.