Holiday advice

Won’t the property owners refund you? First time at the place you’re staying?
The t’s and c’s say that it’s 50% cancellation fee, which is what I’ve already paid, my only hope I guess will be credit card protection if the flights are cancelled as then it’s not my fault I can’t go.

Anyway, I’m still hoping that by the summer we might be able to travel.

The t’s and c’s say that it’s 50% cancellation fee, which is what I’ve already paid, my only hope I guess will be credit card protection if the flights are cancelled as then it’s not my fault I can’t go.

Anyway, I’m still hoping that by the summer we might be able to travel.

your post caught my eye because I was actually reading about Airbnb in the algarve in the local rag last night and just found the online article

https://www.portugalresident.com/ho...nline-platforms-say-pay-all-your-guests-back/

Extract of interest for you maybe -

The full horror of Covid-19 has sent the Algarve holiday rentals sector into flat spin. In the middle of last month, bookings platform Airbnb unilaterally ‘extended its extenuating circumstances policy’ to ensure guests could cancel reservations without being charged. Hosts (meaning owners) were not consulted. The move has since been adopted by other ‘big companies’ in the field, leaving the ‘little people’ – many of whom have mortgages that need to be paid – up sh** creek without a paddle.

There will be credit card companies going bump over all this, I'll be claiming £1800 back in a couple of weeks if a. the travel agent won't refund, or b. the airline won't refund. I've got another in the summer paid for on credit card too, I assume this doesn't apply if you use debit cards though ?

They don’t have to refund you but there is a voluntary scheme to do so. It usually works well but in the current situation.....

Honestly, no idea mate but the link provides the info you need. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
Okay, cheers mate. I assumed that because it's not in their control it would be a "get out" even though they probably knew lockdown in Spain was coming.

your post caught my eye because I was actually reading about Airbnb in the algarve in the local rag last night and just found the online article

https://www.portugalresident.com/ho...nline-platforms-say-pay-all-your-guests-back/

The full horror of Covid-19 has sent the Algarve holiday rentals sector into flat spin. In the middle of last month, bookings platform Airbnb unilaterally ‘extended its extenuating circumstances policy’ to ensure guests could cancel reservations without being charged. Hosts (meaning owners) were not consulted. The move has since been adopted by other ‘big companies’ in the field, leaving the ‘little people’ – many of whom have mortgages that need to be paid – up sh** creek without a paddle.
I was in tavira for a week in February & we were planning to go back for 3 weeks & tour in June my wife was semi retiring . This will obviously decimate tourism but how is portugal coping as a whole ?

I paid £200 deposit for Canary Islands first week in June balance was due 20 March with jet2 didn’t want to pay up so rang and cancelled and only lost the deposit.

Fingers crossed. I know different owners can create their own cancellation policies, but maybe Airbnb have overridden them with their own policy?

Pay the balance Ric and wait it out. Your covered under Atol and your credit card with section 75. If the FCO say it's safe to travel then all is good. Our daughter is in the same boat except she does not have the backing of section 75 as she booked through an intermediary namely On The Beach but she does have the Atol.

I was in tavira for a week in February & we were planning to go back for 3 weeks & tour in June my wife was semi retiring . This will obviously decimate tourism but how is portugal coping as a whole ?

Stayed the night in Tavira for my birthday a short while ago - nice place. Yes will have an impact like many places around the world. We only have 3 fatalities (1 was a British guy) in the Algarve so far so doing a lot better than Porto and Lisbon. police are worried about the amount of people from up north trying to get into the Algarve now as a safe haven, will be road blocks on motorways now.

As a whole doing a lot better than next door in Spain mercifully.

Fingers crossed. I know different owners can create their own cancellation policies, but maybe Airbnb have overridden them with their own policy?

Yes, seems to be a hot topic at the moment, maybe there is policy and advice guidance on Airbnb on what rights you may have to get your cash back. Fingers crossed you won’t need to try and get those funds back, sure you can sink a through pints of Sagres after all this!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.