COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
R's too high. ( 1 in some regions ).
The rate of new infections is 'not a low number' according to Liberty Valance.
Remind me again why are we unlocking so soon rather than wait another two weeks?

Not disagreeing with you. But many have been saying ‘why not just a wait a couple weeks’ for a long time now.

You can't test a vaccine without someone who has the virus and you can't attain or even test herd immunity when it isn't prevalent in a community. So really whilst virus cases coming down is good news, it's very bad news if we want a vaccine or some immunity from the virus.

It's horrendous but we have to resign ourselves to two possible scenarios:

1) We learn how to control the spread (following social distancing and contact tracing) and the virus slowly dies out over a number of years but it maybe becomes a repeating flu type illness that infects and kills X number of people per year.

2) We see a second wave, a third wave, a fourth wave, etc etc and we continually go round the houses until a vaccine/herd immunity is developed.

Either way, neither of these options are good because option 1) means years of misery and option 2) means a lot of deaths and misery.

You do not need there to be cases of the virus in the general public to test a vaccine.

You do not need there to be cases of the virus in the general public to test a vaccine.
You have to have exposure to the virus to know if the vaccine works or not.
So either you need viral transmission or you have to infect people deliberately.

Can I get a poll of opinions? My work is slowly going back, they are aiming to start with 30%. The Management board ( CEO ) has stated people who live with in cycling distance, or own a car should go back first. My manager is putting pressure on me to go in, my current commute is on a train and can take an hour. Over here the trains aren't running at full efficiency and operate at 40% capacity. Potentially I could be late for work, or it could take hours to get home.

I've challenged him and said isn't it company directive that train commuters are the last back. He said it is but he would like me back ( because we have new staff and he needs experienced people in ) I honestly don't want to spend hours commuting right now whilst others work from home ( most of whom have been doing the square root of FA ) I've politely told him to follow protocol / directives. Was this the right thing to do?
Could be worse, u could be a nurse.

They only locked down to stop having catastrophic figures, do you think it’s miraculously going away? I’m telling you what they are gearing up for in the NHS and I’m more inclined to believe someone on the frontline than some lying fuckers on tv. Do you think they give a shit in summer how many get it if they can cope with it, they’ll want herd immunity in summer to cope in winter, the very vulnerable are still been told to isolate, my wife has been told her office in the nhs is not opening until July and even then she won’t be going back because of her diabetes. In the NW they’ve had a spike again after VE Day, imagine what it will be like in a month after what we are seeing now.

I've got multiple friends working on the frontline in hospitals in the North West. Or at least they were all until they got moved back to their regular wards as there was not enough covid cases. Not going into an office week m with diabetes is common sense and my work will be exactly the same.

We've not really had a spike though have we. The number of people in hospital with covid in the NW is lower than at any time since around the end of March and has steadily declined. If you're talking about the number of positive tests then of course that will be higher as more are being tested.

Could be worse, u could be a nurse.[/QUOTE

Unnecessarily harsh reply. They are just asking for support /suggestions to a very tricky personal situation, that many hundreds of thousands of people will be facing in the coming days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.