COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whichever figure you look at (deaths, total infections etc), every single EU and Western country has been disproportionally affected globally.

Thailand for example has a population of 70 million and an average age that makes it similar to here. Bangkok is one of the most populous cities in Asia, very similar to London yet Thailand as a whole has only seen 3000 cases with 57 deaths....

They imposed their full lockdown in April, 2 weeks after we did, yet the virus was first detected in Thailand in January, just like here.......

So why does the virus not spread like wildfire in Bangkok and Thailand but it does in London and elsewhere in the UK?

a couple of things spring to mind.

1) Eastern countries are "used" to outbreaks of things and embrase things like masks quickly and still regularly wear them from the 2003 SARS outbreak.
2) Thailand isn't a 1st world country. there maybe loads of cases/deaths going unreported in small outlying village areas.
3) different strains in different areas maybe having an effect.
4)Thailand specifically is quite tropical so high humidity which apparenly is more hostile to the virus on surfaces
5) Thailand disifnected the streets every night ( as did a lot of eastern countries )
https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1881470/army-to-disinfect-bangkok-roads-nightly

Just use google to investigate each country your questioning to see what pops up. that link about singapore was something like the 2nd hit on my 1st search.

You really cant underestimate the fact that this is our first pandemic in a century and Asia has had half a dozen since 2000.

The entire mindset of the public is different, people adopt advice much quicker, businesses adopt safety procedures faster. The doctors and frontline staff are already trained and have invaluable experience.

Governments have protocols already in place and arent afraid to pull the trigger on lockdowns because it's been done before, and they havent ignored and underfunded the health systems or PPE stockpiles or epidemiology response teams.

People have masks and PPE already at home and wear them immediately, infrastructure for food and deliveries either exist or can be brought back quicker than western countries could build them for the first time.

If, god forbid, theres a Covid-20 next year, or a covid- 25, the west would be 100x better equipped to handle it.

110 England + Scotland + NI hospital deaths. 13 in England only on the day - Sunday. (To compare 19 reported from on the day - Sunday a week ago and 27 from the Sunday before and 45 the Sunday before that).

Weekend caveats (and Wales not out yet) but positive steady fall.

North West down a bit and not the worst region over past few days.
Yes its audit week in NHS England as 11 deaths are from April!

You really cant underestimate the fact that this is our first pandemic in a century and Asia has had half a dozen since 2000.

The entire mindset of the public is different, people adopt advice much quicker, businesses adopt safety procedures faster. The doctors and frontline staff are already trained and have invaluable experience.

Governments have protocols already in place and arent afraid to pull the trigger on lockdowns because it's been done before, and they havent ignored and underfunded the health systems or PPE stockpiles or epidemiology response teams.

People have masks and PPE already at home and wear them immediately, infrastructure for food and deliveries either exist or can be brought back quicker than western countries could build them for the first time.

If, god forbid, theres a Covid-20 next year, or a covid- 25, the west would be 100x better equipped to handle it.
I would bloody hope so. PHE needs to be totally restructured though to do it properly though. It has been a disaster WRT testing.

Wales have added 5 deaths. They are suffering badly. I wonder if older coal mine workers are a factor?

So 115 UK hospital deaths recorded yesterday.

Don’t know where you are but I just went into Aldi, 2 Garden Centres and Waitrose.
I saw 1 mask being worn.

Yeah I rarely see them in Manchester city centre being worn by anyone other than international students. I always feel like the odd one out when I put one on to go to the shop. Vast majority aren't covering their faces at all. I'd be surprised if 1% of the country are.

Shows how much this new virus has completely bamboozled experts over the last few months - early doors when this was just hitting Western Europe and New York it was supposedly surface transmissions that were the biggest factor in the spread and that airborne wasn’t much of a issue. I remember watching videos from frontline staff attempting to debunk fake news about it being an issue, and that “all” we had to be doing was wash your hands, wash your hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.