Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My point was not specific to this thread but in general.

I am rarely shocked by numbers and knew we would top 1000 a day soon but even I was stunned by the very rapid increase in England hospital deaths since Christmas.

Kaz will no doubt be along later to comment on the 1500 or so final record number we get today.

But I just wish these numbers could be the kick up the bum society needs to really see what is going on here. And how every individual act has contributed to this.

But I fear that they too will just see this as another number - a statistic. Not people.

It is easy to get that way and I understand why. We do have to distance ourselves to stay sane I guess.

Commenting on a post doesn’t bring those people back. We’re not desensitised. There have been people on here today talking about donating plasma, taking part in antibody trials, even just completing the Zoe app every day. All proactive things people can do to help. I’m on a vaccine trial, so is my daughter. I’m booked to give blood next week. I’m taking part in the virus watch antibody testing. These are all things people can do to pay tribute to those who have died.
Sadly it looks to me as though the nation is split into various factions, those who are appalled at the deaths and take this seriously, those who pay lip service but think it will never happen to them and finally the deniers who basically are wankers .

My point was not specific to this thread but in general.

I am rarely shocked by numbers and knew we would top 1000 a day soon but even I was stunned by the very rapid increase in England hospital deaths since Christmas.

Kaz will no doubt be along later to comment on the 1500 or so final record number we get today.

But I just wish these numbers could be the kick up the bum society needs to really see what is going on here. And how every individual act has contributed to this.

But I fear that they too will just see this as another number - a statistic. Not people.

It is easy to get that way and I understand why. We do have to distance ourselves to stay sane I guess.

What I find incredibly frustrating, enraging even, is that it was obvious three weeks ago that exactly this would happen, and nothing was done about it (except in London).

What did you do today to help? What did you sacrifice?

When will people look after each other and stop making excuses?

There is a state of total denial.

By the way I found the data for the week before Christmas of the more specific age ranges of the hospital deaths in England and Wales from Covid.

They seem pretty similar each week up to then.

There were 2986 in total that week.

736 aged over 90

609 aged 85 - 89

544 aged 80 - 84

388 aged 75 - 79

252 aged 70 - 74

177 aged 65 - 69

119 aged 60 - 64

75 aged 55 - 59

43 aged 50 - 54

26 aged 45 - 49

10 aged 40 - 44

There were single figures for all the lower age ranges.

This gives some indication of why the 20 year bands are too wide to check on how vaccinations impact the numbers as we hope they will.

What I find incredibly frustrating, enraging even, is that it was obvious three weeks ago that exactly this would happen, and nothing was done about it (except in London).
I agree. I think I was just expressing my frustration that this thread saw this coming for weeks and the nation just sat and watched as nothing happened as if it was just inevitable.

It felt as if the decision was it was easier to remind we should just be careful out there like in Hill Street Blues without mentioning the rapists, maniacs, gunmen they might encounter as that was a given every day.

As a society we have been led into just being frustrated and fed up and aware on some level this is a terrible disease but it likely is not going to impact on ourselves so we can just inch by inch take steps that tread across the boundaries and turn them into yards and miles as time goes by.

Maybe that is just what people have to do when an apocalypse looms - hope for the best and assume there is not much we can do to stop it anyway and hope Bruce Willis is ready to save the day.

Perhaps that is where we are. In the hands of fate as no leader could have done a thing about this.

And the more you know about the data and question if that is actually true the harder it is to accept what looks like sleepwalking towards the edge of a cliff and watching it happen.

So I apologise if it looked like I was blaming those on here. I wasn't really.

Sometimes it perhaps is wise not to know what is coming as when you do there lies the path to madness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.