Bluemoon Angling Thread

B181-ECF8-C89-D-4-B26-AC3-C-107278-AD2-B36.jpg

In my last outing my daughter caught a jack, and you all took the piss because I was holding it like a guitar HAHA , my reason was I wanted a pic and was worried it would get away before I could get a pic
Well today I went off down the same canal (Adlington) and had a few hours, stunning place, was a bit busier than usual, walkers and cyclists, anyway I managed to bag my first ever targeted pike today:) about the same size as my daughter caught, I was thrilled to bits :) couldn't get a pic because the bugger jumped back in the water when I was getting my phone out, my fault I had forgotten my landing mat and the only place to lay it down was on a strip of grass right next to the water, I don't care though I was losing a bit of confidence in myself and my lures but now I'm chuffed to bits

1618473990385.png

If Carlsberg did Wednesdays......

This was the view from my car as I parked yesterday morning. Maybe not as stunning as @idahoblues snake river but very pretty nontheless.

As you can see, bright sun and gentle breeze but only about 7c so still chilly. I spent the morning targeting fish feeding on the surface, so dries and washing line and despite getting a couple it was clear that they weren't that interested.
Around 2.00pm I anchored up in the bay that you can see in the photo, swapped my leader for a lighter floro - the water is gin clear and I was concerned that fish could see the floro. I had noticed some small black buzzer shucks on the surface so put on a team of three buzzers all of which looked very like this.
Fulling Mill T/Light Buzzer Black Barbless

That proved to be the answer and I had a dozen in the next couple of hours. I was straightlining them which means you have the heaviest (size 12) on the point and 2 size 14's on the dropper. Cast out as far as you can and let them sink with the slowest retrieve you can manage. That way, the buzzers are fishing at three different levels and in fact most fish took the point which means that they were lying 8 to 9 feet down. Its a lesson that I always seem to forget that even is you can see feeding fish on the surface, in all probability there are many more feeding far deeper. The thing I like most about straightlining is the take. Because your rod, line and leader are forming a straight line to your buzzers, as long as you are keeping the line tight, you can feel everything. Rainbows taking a buzzer naturally can vary from the line starting to tighten and then draw away as the fish takes the buzzer without varying its swim speed or direction, to savage lunges which almost rip the rod out of your hand. Brilliant stuff.

Anyway, finished up around 3.30, up the road and home by 5.00. Moroccan Chicken and a rice, fruit and nut pilaff for tea washed down with a french white. Settled down to watch the game with an italian red. If Carlsberg did Wednesdays.......

Last 5 sessions in pursuit of pike resulted in blanks. I think i had one enquiry in about 35 hours on the bank, 4 hours or so freezing my nads off on a desolate reservoir as DD will testify.

Not had chance to get on the bank for several weeks as my elderly mother has been so demanding becoming to the point of constant care.

Anyway, I need some time out chilling on the bank at one with nature. My mate sold me a Fox brolly shelter at a bargain price and I've just joined BAA to go and fish Quatford and Knowle sands, river Severn. i ain't fished on those stretches for well over 30 years. I wonder what the once famous 'balmy hole' now looks like. Was a deep back eddy rolling onto a gravel glide stuffed with ravenous barbel and chub.

Roll on the 16th of June waiting to cast a line on a river i once used to be so eager to cast a line on.

'Bostin barbel' as the yam yams say in West Midlands: )

View attachment 14275

If Carlsberg did Wednesdays......

This was the view from my car as I parked yesterday morning. Maybe not as stunning as @idahoblues snake river but very pretty nontheless.

As you can see, bright sun and gentle breeze but only about 7c so still chilly. I spent the morning targeting fish feeding on the surface, so dries and washing line and despite getting a couple it was clear that they weren't that interested.
Around 2.00pm I anchored up in the bay that you can see in the photo, swapped my leader for a lighter floro - the water is gin clear and I was concerned that fish could see the floro. I had noticed some small black buzzer shucks on the surface so put on a team of three buzzers all of which looked very like this.
Fulling Mill T/Light Buzzer Black Barbless

That proved to be the answer and I had a dozen in the next couple of hours. I was straightlining them which means you have the heaviest (size 12) on the point and 2 size 14's on the dropper. Cast out as far as you can and let them sink with the slowest retrieve you can manage. That way, the buzzers are fishing at three different levels and in fact most fish took the point which means that they were lying 8 to 9 feet down. Its a lesson that I always seem to forget that even is you can see feeding fish on the surface, in all probability there are many more feeding far deeper. The thing I like most about straightlining is the take. Because your rod, line and leader are forming a straight line to your buzzers, as long as you are keeping the line tight, you can feel everything. Rainbows taking a buzzer naturally can vary from the line starting to tighten and then draw away as the fish takes the buzzer without varying its swim speed or direction, to savage lunges which almost rip the rod out of your hand. Brilliant stuff.

Anyway, finished up around 3.30, up the road and home by 5.00. Moroccan Chicken and a rice, fruit and nut pilaff for tea washed down with a french white. Settled down to watch the game with an italian red. If Carlsberg did Wednesdays.......
Looks beautiful

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.