The Super League | FA + PL: New Charter & Fines | UEFA: Settlement

Would you be happy if City joined this European Super League?

• Yes

Votes: 109 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,954 94.7%

• Total voters
As a fan of a side that struggles to get through the first round of any cup (with the exception of the Wiltshire Shield), I have to say that I would still say that any club who wants to be part of a European super league should just be fucked off from English football and left to play glorified European friendlies for eternity.
I would want no part of it, but I doubt if Swindon would be invited anyway.

There's been many discussions on this forum and still are about the difference in football in it's totality from years gone by, even 20 years ago. The seismic change has been business interests taking over.
My opinion had always been the game is fast losing its soul but I'm afraid I wouldn't swap the last 10 years for anything.
Whether this super league takes off or not there is an inevitability of some form of breakaway, it's almost happened in all but name now with Euopean leagues dominated by the same old teams
Whilst us fans might be the soul of the club, we don't own it, Sheikh Mansour does and he had invested well over a Billion to get us to where we are now so that needs to be taken into account.
I get the feeling part of the reason this is being set up is not necessarily to fuck City over first and foremost but to protect the cartel's interests so that City can't be the football and financial powerhouse that threatens to usurp debt ridden shitheads.
It is coming in one form or another I fear and don't think City have much option other than a "yes" with reservations.

Bet a lot of players are on the phones with their lawyers about this. Expect a lot of legal challenges from them about terminating their contracts if they can't play for their national teams due to this.

“Right boss I’m out if I can’t play for England again”

“how does a £100k a week pay rise sound”

“Where do I sign”

I’m City before anything but any victory would feel hollow if we could never be relegated from the Super League. I could lose interest in the sport which I would never have thought.
Without promotion and relegation, English league football would lose much of its enduring attraction. So too, for European footy.
Can we really stomach the thought of never playing York away again?

Remarkable that Madrid would spearhead and orchestrate all this when they are one of the few clubs owned by supporters. Historically speaking, they’ve also had the most success in the Champions League so why throw it all away?

None of this makes sense.

If we are involved then with my hand on my heart I can say I would rather watch us play whoever is left in the PL and the rest of the european clubs that get shafted. Europe may be the holy grail for the club and some fans but it isn't for me and even if we won this farce of a competition what sort of an achievement is it we will have beaten many teams who haven't even earned their place in it. The CL may have faults but the teams have earned the right to play in it for footballing reasons not because of past glory. I love City but in my eyes to join this is treating other clubs in the way we have been treated and in some ways worse because we know what it's like but are happy to pull up the drawbridge on clubs like West Ham, Leicester and Everton and shout, "We're okay now tough shit". Maybe the leagues won't stand firm it doesn't really matter this will never be right or fair and we have to admit we have become everything we loathed.

The point I was making was that the danger of failure drives the ambition of a sporting club. Keep that and fans remain engaged, the team remains driven; remove it and you end up with a facsimile of competitive sport.
The 6 nations is successfully accepted by fans because there wasn't a previous alternative. There was nothing to compare and contrast. The same as in the US with the way they do things.
So your last 3 sentences indicate your issue is changing something that already exists, not the lack of promotion/relegation per se. Ok, now I understand - and that’s a perfectly valid viewpoint, you don’t want to change something which in your view is already working ok.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.