31 | Ederson - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t see how anyone can doubt he should save the Zaha goal. And like many I don’t think he is a great shot stopper but in this team with the few goals we concede probably doesn’t need to be. Am sure I heard a stat we have conceded from 50% of shots on target this season but sure I’ve probably misheard.

I don't think he should have saved it. If it was a shooting drill, I'd expect him to save it 9 times out of 10, but the fact is he got put into a shite situation by Laporte losing it and had to backpedal 30 yards then shift over as Gallagher put in Zaha. I'm not surprised his bearings were slightly off and he left a foot of the goal open.

It's also a complete fluke of a finish I don't think Zaha could repeat in a year of trying, he scuffs it in a way that it bends around Ederson completely unnaturally with his left foot. A straight shot would have been saved.

It's a mistake, but he was in a situation where a mistake is not unusual, and god knows the rest of the side make plenty of their own mistakes.

It's a stat. that proves nothing. The nature of the goals are the only things that are relevant in judging the keeper. A tap in, a 35yard screamer, a deflection, in off a post, through a crowded area, one on one etc can all be shots on target, whether the shots on target are saveable is unique to each particular incident and rarely comparable for statistical value.

The problem Ederson has in general with stats is that he faces so few shots. Part of this is his own doing, he is the best keeper in the league at claiming crosses, free kicks and corners which prevents a huge amount of shots from knockdowns and half clearances. Part of it is because he helps us dominate possession so much. Part of it's just being in a really good side.

Whatever the cause, he's faced 17 shots on target in 9 games and conceded 6 goals.

If you look at the 6 goals...

The Son goal that deflected off Dias.
Mané goal which is a 1v1 (which are Ederson's weakness) that you'd expect a good finisher to score.
Salah goal that people think is the goal of the season.
Penalty against Brighton.
Zaha goal people think he should have saved.
Gallagher goal where his defence let the kid have an unmarked, unchallenged shot from 10 yards out.

So we're talking about 1 goal he might have done better on? In 1/4 of the season? He doesn't really have a chance with 3 of them, and the 2 Liverpool goals are just great finishes by world class players.

If you go back to his Benfica days, he was facing twice as many shots on target and had a save% nearly 80%. He's not better, teams that face the most shots always have goalkeepers with the best save %'s - Edouard Mendy has faced 33 in 9 games. More shots, lower quality, more saves.

Last edited:
Two smart saves, that first one in particular. He should be making that save but it wasn't really routine. Ronaldo hit that very very well to the point it was almost surprising but he got his angles right and his reactions were there.

I think he should set up a playstation so he has something to do for the 90 minutes. Must be so cold and boring. Goretex goalie kit would be handy too. Maybe a hot water bottle strapped to his chest and a pair of knitted wooly mitts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.