Most overrated City player ever?

Paul Moulden, despite his dad having a chippy, a Guinness world record holder for scoring in youth football, he was a major disappointment, a player we all wanted to succeed.

I also feel Kompany is a bit overrated. Brilliant for 2010-2014 but became somewhat of a walking red card waiting to happen in the later years.

Saved it with two late end of season runs in 2018 and 2019 and the Leicester goal coming back into the team, but the reality was he was injured for well over half the premier league games in those seasons (30 PL starts in 2 years).
Put that on a plaque under his statue.

Last edited:
While playing for City? Craig Bellamy. Played very well against United in the 4-3 derby and coasted off that. Was very average for the rest of the 09-10 season and might as well have not turned up for the 1-0 defeat to Spurs.

Mancini saw right through him and got shot of him. No coincidence that he went straight to the Championship after leaving us and only came back to the PL because Kenny Dalglish wanted him as a squad player in a Liverpool team that finished 8th.

Adam Johnson. Mancini used to get pelters from sections of the media and City fans for not starting him enough, playing him on the right and "ruining a young English talent". Did he join a top 6 team after leaving and go on to become a fixture for England? No, he went to Sunderland, and the rest, as they say, is history...

Balotelli. I liked the guy, but mavericks and "characters" tend to be overly romanticised and their ability can get over exaggerated a little. "If only he applied himself, he could have been..." I don't feel Balotelli wasted his talent from not applying himself. He has a great CV. He also played in a Euro's final, so you can't really call him a wasted talent. Just my opinion, but I feel he was as good as he could have been really, I don't feel he had a higher ceiling that he failed to reach.

Not overrated as such, but Zinchenko took on an almost mythical status after that Villa game. He went from being a squad member, to becoming an indispensable player almost on the same level as the likes of De Bruyne and Kompany.

Robbie Fowler for me, I thought he was finished even before we paid a fortune (for us, back then) for him. Keegan thought we were buying a world class player, but we got a turkey - which Fowler probably ate.

When he made his debut he was overweight and his whole attitude was wrong. Absolutely despised him and he was a lazy fucker as well. Keegan was indulged bringing him in and Fowler indulged himself and was never fit. McManaman was another who was useless. Any time these two fuckers played, the others had to put in a mega shift to cover them.

I was massively disappointed with George Weah as well. I know he was well past his best, but for someone who was one of the best in the world at one point you'd never have thought it when he was with us.

Not sure he was ever overrated as such but do you know who was really really poor? Ian Brightwell.

I’ve watched quite a lot of games and reviews recently from the late 80’s and 90’s and it was staggering how many goals he cost us.

Back then I was just a kid and didn’t mind him because he came through the youth set up even if I understood he wasn’t all that. Looking back at these games with an older head though and I genuinely was shocked by how much he struggled.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.