Mary D's The Townley or another?

Shame the old Mitchell Arms hasn't been bought, was a good pint stop on the way back into town,landlord was a rag though.
Could have made a fuckin wedge that place, he had a load of budgies if I remember rightly

I used to prefer the Eastlands, I was gutted when it shut down for the final time.

I usually go in the Townley now, although it's always rammed and feels like it's 100 degrees in there.

The Manchester (formely The Crossroad) was a bit crap, imo, but it got me thinking how many pubs, from around the ground, have closed down:
The Eastlands
The Manchester
Bank of England
Mitchell Arms
Derby Arms
Champagne Charlies

There used to be a pub called The Stadium, too. Not sure if that has closed or if it's now The Bradford.
There was also one up near The Grove called the Blue Moon when we first moved to the stadium. It didn't last very long even though in those early days it got absolutely hammered. There was also The Birch (later called Out Of The Blue) near Ashburys station which has now gone.

I know these pubs are quiet through the rest of the week but it does puzzle me that so many have closed down as I always felt that they could make enough money on match days alone to sustain themselves through the rest of the week. Obviously that can't be the case. I think The Victoria is still open at the back of The Grove though, and I think they only open on match days?

Last edited:
Went into Mary D's for the first time in a while after the game yesterday. Going to have to wash my clothes twice they stink that badly of fags, only one till in the main bar takes card/mobile payments (it's 2022 for fuck sake, hardly anyone carries cash) and the place is even more of a piss stained shithole than I remember.

I used to be all for retaining 'old school' places but that pub is a dump and needs bulldozing.

Went into Mary D's for the first time in a while after the game yesterday. Going to have to wash my clothes twice they stink that badly of fags, only one till in the main bar takes card/mobile payments (it's 2022 for fuck sake, hardly anyone carries cash) and the place is even more of a piss stained shithole than I remember.

I used to be all for retaining 'old school' places but that pub is a dump and needs bulldozing.
I know what you mean with Mary d's
We have tended to walk into town after the game but getting a bit more difficult for me.
As I came out of SS3 yesterday I ask the stewards on the outside of SS1 if we could come in after games and have a drink in the bar. They said no its only for SS1 fans. Is this right?

Smaller businesses deal in cash mainly, and there are some people who still swear by using cash, I for one have never swiped a card or paid for anything in a shop with anything other than cash.

Mary D's is a dump because it isn't a wetherspoons, this isn't a dig at you mate but the "Modern" way of doing things isn't what a lot people want to do.

I know what you mean with Mary d's
We have tended to walk into town after the game but getting a bit more difficult for me.
As I came out of SS3 yesterday I ask the stewards on the outside of SS1 if we could come in after games and have a drink in the bar. They said no its only for SS1 fans. Is this right?
They won't let you back in the ground once you've left. Bit daft in my eyes and they haven't really got a valid reason

The Bridge Inn on Clayton Lane isn't open for games this season which is a shame as it was a decent pint with pre match free food laid on . Also heard the Victoria could be gone at the end of the season. The landlord supplements his takings as a taxi driver as he's only open for home games, but he's probably had enough.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.