PL charge City for alleged breaches of financial rules

Why such a small points deduction for a 2nd offence? The PL have obviously shit the bed. Has to be a reason behind it.
As he said - they are making it up as they go along. Gradually realising that their members club (cartel) approach to dishing out punishment might get them in trouble once it comes under actual legal scrutiny.

I thought the penalties were going to be more severe if a club had already been penalised previously.

And there is no logic in reducing the sanction because they had already been penalised once this season (what does that have to do with anything?), and there is absolutely no logic in coming to a conclusion different to the first two panels on Usmanov's sponsorship (unless we are now saying the first panel made three legal errors and the second panel one legal error as well, now. Everton should appeal against the appeal now). Unless there is "political" involvement in the decision, of course.

Not that I agree with points deductions as a sanction for all this bullshit, but I thought consistency and precedence were legal concepts?

Last edited:
@domalino said the clubs agreed to leave the question of points deduction open, but as yet, has not provided a reference. No matter, let us assume that he is correct.
”Leave the question open” is not the same as “The PL will introduce new sanctions unilaterally “ and rather suggests that the impression was given that the PL would come back with a proposal at some stage, but they appear to have introduced points deductions without further consultation. Chelsea certainly assumed that they would just get a fine. Further the points regime seems to be undefined.
Clearly this is incompetence or mala fides by the PL and a bit stupid by the clubs not to insist on consultation on the regime.
@domalino do you know if the clubs agreed to the regime as introduced?

The "open" sanctions apply to all disciplinary issues before the independent panels some of which would warrant points deductions and relegations, most of which don't. I don't have a problem with that. The question is why the PL (and yes, I mean the PL executive, whose job it is to present rule changes to the clubs for ratification, not the clubs) didn't define sanctions specifically for FFP breaches. Personally, I suspect it is because they are incompetent. But that is just me. 10 years ago when the rules were introduced, maybe it was acceptable, but as the noose tightened around several clubs the PL had a duty to clarify before it became an issue. And because of the way they monitor compliance, they needed the foresight to see the problem three years in advance. Now they are running around trying to put out fires. Poor management.

Certainly, the sudden and unexpected application of points deductions has screwed a lot of clubs over this year. I am not sure how that can be put down to the clubs who broke the rules. It's entirely down to the entity responsible for proposing rules that aren't "clear and obvious" (to borrow a phrase) for ratification and that is the PL executive.

Could not find the Chairman's word, regarding City`s first punishment by UEFA, i am sure someone will post, as it was a very real threat to the PL, but here was the one after.

Khaldoon said that was a decision taken in the best interests of the club, adding: “We will be pragmatic and move on and know that we have the right model and we believe in this model. At the same time it will not compromise us or the strategy we have started and that we will continue to implement.

“I am looking forward to an interview six years from now when we look back at these rules and regulations that have been put in place which have a particular model in mind, and the model we started on six years ago and will take us for the next six years.

“I think then, history will judge what was right for football. I have all the confidence in the world in where we are going to be in six years and what we are going to show in terms of being the right model.”

Deliberately breaking the rules of a competition to get an advantage is literally the definition of cheating!

So is diving, fouling, handball happens every game.

There is no deceit, what we are accused of is the definition of cheating, fraud & deceit.

The question is why the PL (and yes, I mean the PL executive, whose job it is to present rule changes to the clubs for ratification, not the clubs) didn't define sanctions specifically for FFP breaches. Personally, I suspect it is because they are incompetent. But that is just me. 10 years the rules were introduced, maybe it was acceptable, but as the noose tightened around several clubs the PL had a duty to clarify before it became an issue. And because of the way they monitor compliance, they needed the foresight to see the problem three years in advance. Now they are running around trying to put out fires. Poor management.

Certainly, the sudden and unexpected application of points deductions has screwed a lot of clubs over this year.

The cynic in me is inclined to believe that, since the rules were introduced and continue to evolve specicifically to frustrate City's successful business model, what appears to be a strange omission of specifics is, actually, a deliberate one to allow the PL complete discretion to impose any swingeing punishment it chooses when it comes to us.

We'll only know at the end of the season, of course, but I'm not comforted by the precedents now being set for points deductions since those meted out to Everton and Forest, whilst looking severe, after appeals, may be carefully calculated to avoid any real effect on the relegation battle. But the precedent will have been set relatively painlessly and public opinion nicely teed up for the main event.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.