Marc-Andre ter Stegen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Makes no sense for him to come here unless it was as our default number one and the shirt being his to lose. Why would he want to be back up at City when he's already back up at Barcelona plus with champions league games thrown in? Even if you remove Barcelona from the equation, it'd be a better move for him to go to Liverpool as their number one than us as number two. I know we view liverpool as bit of a joke but they're still a big club with a hugely respected manager. If he comes, it surely has to be as number one and I'd rather stick with Hart tbh. I think his distribution has noticeably improved in the past season or so and we'll never know how good he'd be in Pep's system until he's asked to play it.

Makes no sense for him to come here unless it was as our default number one and the shirt being his to lose. Why would he want to be back up at City when he's already back up at Barcelona plus with champions league games thrown in? Even if you remove Barcelona from the equation, it'd be a better move for him to go to Liverpool as their number one than us as number two. I know we view liverpool as bit of a joke but they're still a big club with a hugely respected manager. If he comes, it surely has to be as number one and I'd rather stick with Hart tbh. I think his distribution has noticeably improved in the past season or so and we'll never know how good he'd be in Pep's system until he's asked to play it.
I don't think his distribution has improved at all tbh, and that's one of the problems. He's capable of the odd quick launch that sets us up but he looks unnatural with the ball at his feet and always has. I've seen many blame lack of movement from our players, which maybe to a small degree is the case but more often than not its Joe not being sharp enough or confident enough to play it when the chance is there. By the time he's made his mind up its often too late and the long boot to Aguero is the default mode.
I am desperate for Hart to be our first choice and I can't wait to see if he's got it in him to be the keeper that Guardiola wants/needs. He can't have a free reign at it though, there has to be some sort of challange that keeps him motivated.

People talk about Harts distribution, but a keeper distribution is as much about players making themselves available and knowing what to do with the ball quickly, so Pep will improve Harts distribution as much by improving the players around him as much as Hart himself.

It's like having 2 strikers, one is a great playmaker, great at free kicks & penalties, fantastic dribbler, but he can't score, he gets 1 in 10.

The other striker is alright at everything else, nowhere near the first guy, but bangs in a goal per game - who do you pick?

See but that's the comparison I was making with Hart. The striker who bangs in a goal per game despite seemingly offering little else (Gerd Muller springs to mind) would be the one I would pick. That's the stand out characteristic which should take priority over everything else from a player in that position. Similarly, the basic requirement that I would look for in a goalkeeper is the ability to keep shots from hitting the back of the net.

Although I do agree that being able to take part in those passing triangles is massively important, particularly in a Pep team. However, this is why I would hope that any keeper we sign would have Hart's shot stopping ability but with better distribution. To me, there's no point bringing in a keeper who adds a numerical advantage to our possession play but can't make the difference when really needed.

wouldn't make any sense at all. Hart is better than ter stegen at everything apart from distribution, which people have become obsessed with. hart is not exactly bad with his distribution, he might not be able to ping 40 yard balls to feet every time... he's one of the best keepers in the league and one of the best in europe - it would just be stupid. when a pass isn't on he has to kick it long, our forwards rarely ever win headers.

add in the fact we would be losing one of our leaders. I dont think you can have 2 world class keepers, at barca, and other teams one always becomes unhappy.

wouldn't make any sense at all. Hart is better than ter stegen at everything apart from distribution, which people have become obsessed with. hart is not exactly bad with his distribution, he might not be able to ping 40 yard balls to feet every time... he's one of the best keepers in the league and one of the best in europe - it would just be stupid. when a pass isn't on he has to kick it long, our forwards rarely ever win headers.

add in the fact we would be losing one of our leaders. I dont think you can have 2 world class keepers, at barca, and other teams one always becomes unhappy.
Would you rather us buy somebody who isn't anywhere near as good as Hart? That's where we've been with the last couple of number twos and I don't think we've benefited at all. Fair play to Willy for his final heroics but that display papered over plenty of poor shows. Pants had his qualities but nowhere near good enough to hold down a first team place at a club hunting for trophies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.