Marc-Andre ter Stegen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you rather us buy somebody who isn't anywhere near as good as Hart? That's where we've been with the last couple of number twos and I don't think we've benefited at all. Fair play to Willy for his final heroics but that display papered over plenty of poor shows. Pants had his qualities but nowhere near good enough to hold down a first team place at a club hunting for trophies.

i get what your saying, but its very hard to have two equally good keepers because in the end one will want to leave as they wont be playing - ter stegen at the moment. I'm not really sure who could be good enough that would want to sit on the bench.

gk is not a problem position for us

i get what your saying, but its very hard to have two equally good keepers because in the end one will want to leave as they wont be playing - ter stegen at the moment. I'm not really sure who could be good enough that would want to sit on the bench.
That's the dilemma isn't it? On this one, I just think if he's willing to come then we'd be daft not to go for it. Any other keeper we look at would probably be in and around 10-15 million (plucked those figures from my arse tbf) and for the extra we'd fork out to guarantee us a top class keeper would be money well spent.
I suppose it all hinges on what Caballero is planning on doing.

This rumour does not go away.

Would Joe move or fight? I think he would fight like he did with Schmeichel.

To all those who have read the article and quote facts, here's a few. Hart, Englands No1, A proven winner in the Premier League, Golden glove winner, City through and through. Also for good measure we have young Gunn who must be a season or two away from challenging Joe. For me its a big NO, don't need another foreign keeper as No2, get Green or similar home grown till Gunn is ready.

That's the dilemma isn't it? On this one, I just think if he's willing to come then we'd be daft not to go for it. Any other keeper we look at would probably be in and around 10-15 million (plucked those figures from my arse tbf) and for the extra we'd fork out to guarantee us a top class keeper would be money well spent.
I suppose it all hinges on what Caballero is planning on doing.

yea it is a good dilemma to have though, but if ter stegen is coming here for first team football and he is number 1 then wed have the same problem of then having to buy another keeper as good to replace hart. willy is a good enough replacement, usually hart plays the majority of games anyway.
for me
Ter stegen - distrubution
Hart - all other aspects of keeping.

See but that's the comparison I was making with Hart. The striker who bangs in a goal per game despite seemingly offering little else (Gerd Muller springs to mind) would be the one I would pick. That's the stand out characteristic which should take priority over everything else from a player in that position. Similarly, the basic requirement that I would look for in a goalkeeper is the ability to keep shots from hitting the back of the net.

Although I do agree that being able to take part in those passing triangles is massively important, particularly in a Pep team. However, this is why I would hope that any keeper we sign would have Hart's shot stopping ability but with better distribution. To me, there's no point bringing in a keeper who adds a numerical advantage to our possession play but can't make the difference when really needed.

But there aren't any shotstoppers better than Hart who are also very good with their feet - Neuer or the donut thief are probably the only two.

And ter Stegen is not a poor goalkeeper who happens to be good on the ball, he's very good. Guardiola and his team aren't mugs, they know what a goalkeeper has to do between the posts, and ter Stegen didn't win the Champions League, getting past PSG (twice), us, Bayern Munich and Juventus without being very good at all the usual goalkeeping stuff.

But there aren't any shotstoppers better than Hart who are also very good with their feet - Neuer or the donut thief are probably the only two.

And ter Stegen is not a poor goalkeeper who happens to be good on the ball, he's very good. Guardiola and his team aren't mugs, they know what a goalkeeper has to do between the posts, and ter Stegen didn't win the Champions League, getting past PSG (twice), us, Bayern Munich and Juventus without being very good at all the usual goalkeeping stuff.

All very good points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.