• In

Votes: 503 47.9%
  • Out

Votes: 547 52.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree

If you don't like what the Tories are doing/trying to do to worker's rights then you can vote them out - can't do that to the top men in the EU

I would also disagree with 'out' being 'hijacked by the far right'

I've tried to vote the Tories out but, unfortunately, I can't do it on my own. They have a hardcore base of support that doesn't care about workers rights because they don't have an invested interest in it. They get into power because we don't have PR.
As for being hijacked by the far right, have you seen or even witnessed how subtle it is? Many people that I know, particularly the over 60's, would class themselves as traditional labour voters. Yet they manage to spout the vitriol that the far right espouse. This is why UKIP got millions of votes at the last GE.

I've tried to vote the Tories out but, unfortunately, I can't do it on my own. They have a hardcore base of support that doesn't care about workers rights because they don't have an invested interest in it. They get into power because we don't have PR.
As for being hijacked by the far right, have you seen or even witnessed how subtle it is? Many people that I know, particularly the over 60's, would class themselves as traditional labour voters. Yet they manage to spout the vitriol that the far right espouse. This is why UKIP got millions of votes at the last GE.

spot on

bob on

I'll be voting Remain and decided to do so some weeks ago. Mainly because I have seen the EU introduce certain workers rights whilst the Tories continue to attack them.
I can understand some of the points of the Leave campaign but it has been hijacked by the far right, and I find that repulsive. I don't want a Britain
that could move backwards.
Nice to see you back but you do realise that British workers are the least protected in Europe and that many of the protections we have were in place long before the EU came along and were adopted by the EU. Equal pay, maternity rights, Health & Safety, anti-discrimination laws among others. Yes, it introduced things like the Working Time Directive but I wouldn't get work if I didn't sign an opt-out.

I've said before on here that one reason we're such an attractive investment destination is that it's so much easier to sack British workers and close factories than anywhere else in the EU.

So you like democracy as long as you get what you want? That isn't how democracy works, and voting to stay in an anti democratic organisation so that it can impose laws that the majority in this country don't agree with, is maybe the worst reason for voting Remain I can think of.

Nice to see you back but you do realise that British workers are the least protected in Europe and that many of the protections we have were in place long before the EU came along and were adopted by the EU. Equal pay, maternity rights, Health & Safety, anti-discrimination laws among others. Yes, it introduced things like the Working Time Directive but I wouldn't get work if I didn't sign an opt-out.

I've said before on here that one reason we're such an attractive investment destination is that it's so much easier to sack British workers and close factories than anywhere else in the EU.

You see this is where the two views divide- yes the equal pay act goes back to 1970 but has been largely superseded by the act of 2010. Maternity Rights have been much further extended in the last few years - unrecognisable from what I was entitled to 20 years ago. Health and Safety and so on - all have been enhanced. This is what that article was referring to about the rose tinted view of the UK pre common market days - things have come in when we have been in the EU. I am sorry you have to sign an opt out to the WTD - that in itself does not make things better or worse for the majority. Its only been because successive governments of various hues have been reluctant to broaden workers rights to match those elsewhere within the EU that our protection isn't as good. Stupidly that is done in the name of a "flexible" workforce to help the economy and as you rightly say for us on the ground that means easier to fire. Oddly enough that flexibility and downgrading of workers rights has not helped improve what is one of the poorest economic productivity rates around.

Your last paragraph sums it up. Why is that, do you think?
So you like democracy as long as you get what you want? That isn't how democracy works, and voting to stay in an anti democratic organisation so that it can impose laws that the majority in this country don't agree with, is maybe the worst reason for voting Remain I can think of.

I don't think the country has decided yet. The result is on Friday.

I think you are wrong if you think the EU cares about worker's rights

I also think labour have been a disgrace over the last few years which has led it's more traditional voters who have been effected by issues the current Labour Party are too scared to talk to turn to UKIP

If it's not infighting, being Tory Light or now some cool North London left-wing club, is it any wonder people have looked elsewhere? Immigration is an issue, a big one, Labour don't what to touch it. They should

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.