11 | Jeremy Doku - 2023/24

Thank you Confucius. The year gas indeed passed.

Not saying it is Dokus fault - injury, selection, trying something new. So no - I don't think Grealish has had enough chance this season, for numerous reasons.
I think he has though. In a squad with quality players like ours, you cannot be less than par in two consecutive games and expect to play in a third when others are waiting in the wings unless of course if your name is Julian.

Doku is young and will be inconsistent at times. He might cost us points here and there. But what his critics fail to notice is how much Pep and the players trust him. They pass the ball to him again and again. Why? Are they stupid? Well, they trust him, as he is always ready to receive the ball and run with it. He doesn't hide. Pep loves brave players.

I do not doubt these things but how has he fared this season?

In my opinion, Doku started off like Benjamin Mendy did on his debut but has proceeded not to reach those heights in any game since.
Doku is skilful but increasingly predictable. He was easily our best forward today but that wasn't difficult.
He's a young lad who, like Oscar Bobb, has a lot to learn. They're both impact players at this stage if their careers, not starters.
Jack Grealish has not set the world alight yet this season, but his defensive input is light years ahead of Doku.

Foden was poor today I thought. He is wasted over there though.
Agreed, but the problem is how do you fit De Bruyne and Bernado into the same team without either Foden or Bernado having to play on the right, where neither of them seem to enjoy playing.

Bernado has obviously had some very good games for us on the right, not least in the Chanpions League run last season, but he’s looked much less effective there this season. So too with Foden.

The problem wouldn’t have been so bad if Doku had looked better on the right on the few occasions when he’s been put out there, but he looks much better on the left as well.

It all looks a bit awkward and pushing Walker higher to compensate just leaves us exposed at the back.

In my opinion, Doku started off like Benjamin Mendy did on his debut but has proceeded not to reach those heights in any game since.
Doku is skilful but increasingly predictable. He was easily our best forward today but that wasn't difficult.
He's a young lad who, like Oscar Bobb, has a lot to learn. They're both impact players at this stage if their careers, not starters.
Jack Grealish has not set the world alight yet this season, but his defensive input is light years ahead of Doku.
Can we stop the Doku / Mendy comparison? I've seen a lot of that here and it's becoming weird.

Not happy to be proven right, but I know I took a lot of stick for not towing the party line with him.

I just don't think he's very good, and his one or two great performances have massively outweighed his actual level.

Unfortunately, today he's taken the position of a Bernardo et Al and we've been found out.

Agreed, but the problem is how do you fit De Bruyne and Bernado into the same team without either Foden or Bernado having to play on the right, where neither of them seem to enjoy playing.

Bernado has obviously had some very good games for us on the right, not least in the Chanpions League run last season, but he’s looked much less effective there this season. So too with Foden.

The problem wouldn’t have been so bad if Doku had looked better on the right on the few occasions when he’s been put out there, but he looks much better on the left as well.

It all looks a bit awkward and pushing Walker higher to compensate just leaves us exposed at the back.
I don’t know the answer. We certainly don’t look like a fluent side currently despite the wins. So many games we concede stupid goals and so many games we go behind. It’s just not like us at all. We have struggled against better sides this season and are so open on the break. We have a really tough 5/6 weeks coming up angainst sides who break really quickly. We really need to sharpen up. Our finishing isn’t good enough and our defence is a mess .

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.